Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Potentiometer with click at 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1tch37

Gday,

I am looking for a special potentiometer. The item i am looking for is often found on volume controls on mini radios and CD players. When you turn the volume down as far as it goes, you can feel the wheel click and the radio turns off.

Does such a item exist to a hobbyist?

Regards,
Mitch

You want a pot with a switch on it. They are commonly available. The switch is not electrically connected to the pot - only mechanically.

Attachments

• pot with switch.jpg
    pot with switch.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 421
the click is sometimes called a detent too. like a pot for a balance control has a center detent between left and right, it's accomplished the same way, with a little addition to the shaft of the pot - could also be done with a notch in the shaft, a spring and a small bearing. when the notch aligns with the bearing, the spring pushes it in, slightly locking the shaft, so you have 'feedback'

Ron H said:
You want a pot with a switch on it. They are commonly available. The switch is not electrically connected to the pot - only mechanically.
i want to know the pot u had shown is which type of pot? is it resistance wound pot or which type????

justDIY said:
the click is sometimes called a detent too. like a pot for a balance control has a center detent between left and right, it's accomplished the same way, with a little addition to the shaft of the pot - could also be done with a notch in the shaft, a spring and a small bearing. when the notch aligns with the bearing, the spring pushes it in, slightly locking the shaft, so you have 'feedback'
A detent is not going to turn off the radio. You need a switch. I don't believe I've ever seen a pot with a single detent at one end of the rotation.

kpsoneji said:
i want to know the pot u had shown is which type of pot? is it resistance wound pot or which type????
**broken link removed** has a list of different types of resistance elements. You can probably buy any of them with a switch mounted on them.
I don't know what kind of element the one in the picture has. I found it by doing a Google image search for "pot with switch".

Judging by the picture it looks like a carbon track element, noisy and not too reliable but cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back