Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Potential Lawsuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aberg

I just found this cool project:
Simple STM Project

There is no contact info located anywhere on the site from what I can tell. If I build the project and sell it, does this guy have legal grounds to sue me?

Its been published to the Internet and shows all its parts and schematics all for free. Its free game for whom ever wants to copy it and do what ever they want with that information!

What's the possible use of that... "gadget"?

STM's and SEM's (scanning tunneling and electron microscopes) are used in research and industry in metallurgy, physics research and semiconductor manufacturing to name just a few applications. Optical microscopes are useless resolving objectives in the sub-micron range and below.

Second line of the overwiew page:

My real goal here is to provide a base of information so experimenters and students could build a simple STM.

He doesnt mention copyright so it is considered public domain.

Last edited:
He doesnt mention copyright so it is considered public domain.

Yes, but has he filed a disclosure statement with the patent office? Without knowing any of the particulars, and speaking for myself negotiating this potential minefield in the past, I would err on the side of caution and prudence, and at least contact the page owner and get a written release before ANY money was put out with the potential it could come back and bite me in the hindmost regions.

But that is just me liking to dot the I's and dot T's perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back