Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Potential for harm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reloadron

Most Helpful Member
This is just a joke right? So should every thread on a subject of remote control be considered a bad thread or thread capable of containing information which can cause harm? The question now begs where a line is drawn on subject matter. Should the IOT be removed since it mentions devices which can be remotely turned On/Off?

Ron

I actually flagged the post for review, based on similar posts that have been cut off in the past. Perhaps I'm too twitchy, but based on recent events in the US Capitol, and the unrepentant nature of the crazies involved, igniting a magnesium flare using a walkie talkie has some potentially deadly consequences.

So where do you draw the line? I don't know. Obviously, any kind of remote control could be used for nefarious purposes, even a remote-control relay board controlled by a pocket fob from ebay. Too many whack jobs in the world are making this a frightening place.

I agree somewhat that such posts have to be viewed in light of current conditions around the world, including terrorism or home-grown "insurrection" (or whatever you want to call it).
With the current situation(s), it is not a good idea to post such questions. In other times, as well described problem and possible solution to a remote control issue would be fine. I think that when a question is very general, no details, and asking for something that could be use for illegal purposes, should be flagged and reviewed. Not to say it is bad, just not appropriate.
Some will argue that terrorists have other sources of information for this, and they do. Terrorists have already figured out how to use cell phones for such purposes.
It is just that no one knows if the person posting such questions has a legitimate issue or not. Are they a hobbyist or someone who wants to take on their government on their own? How do moderators handle this, as they will be damned if they act and damned if they don't

This is just a joke right? So should every thread on a subject of remote control be considered a bad thread or thread capable of containing information which can cause harm? The question now begs where a line is drawn on subject matter. Should the IOT be removed since it mentions devices which can be remotely turned On/Off?

So you don't consider a request for a remote control bomb detonator (which is essentially what it is) of any consequence?.

Living in a country that was subject to years of American funded terrorist bombings makes me somewhat more concerned about it.

While I believe that anyone wanting to centonate a device for all the wrong reasons can easily get whatever information they want or need online or buy an anarchist cookbook I just question closing threads because they might be related to any nefarious activity. Yes, cell phones have been used for years to trigger IED devices.

Nigel, sorry but we obviously do not share the same views.
Living in a country that was subject to years of American funded terrorist bombings makes me somewhat more concerned about it.
Take a cheap shot at my country expect me to shoot back. That was not only cheap but uncalled for.

Ron

Obviously, there are other sources for this kind of material on the web.

Given the intellect of some the insurrectionists (e.g., wearing your work badge in plain view while attempting to overthrow the government), in this case, I'm more concerned about the guy who wakes up in the middle of the night thinking "I'm going to show them! I'll make a bomb!"

Like I said, I don't have any answers.

There were 4 remote control pipe bombs planted on 1/5/21 in Washington DC. They didn't work. So some one comes in asking how to do it better on both ETO and AAC. And the forums should just go along? How big of a leap is it from "small magnesium flare"(original question), to setting off a pipe bomb with it?

While I believe that anyone wanting to centonate a device for all the wrong reasons can easily get whatever information they want or need online or buy an anarchist cookbook I just question closing threads because they might be related to any nefarious activity. Yes, cell phones have been used for years to trigger IED devices.

Nigel, sorry but we obviously do not share the same views.

Take a cheap shot at my country expect me to shoot back. That was not only cheap but uncalled for.

It's a simple statement of fact - American funded terrorism set off MANY bombs in the UK, killing many men, women and children.

So I'm VERY much against putting exact details out there of how to detonate a bomb remotely - just because it's already out there doesn't mean it's a good idea to add more.

here in the USA you can, for instance put a rifle into a test stand and tie a string to the trigger, and do safety tests where you might not be safe holding or standing near the rifle. you are still in direct control of the rifle's function. but you can't hook the trigger to a tripwire and leave the rifle unattended. you must maintain positive control of the functioning of the rifle, and the area downrange from the muzzle. same thing with pyrotechnics (except for signalling devices, like tripwire alarms that fire blanks)... you must maintain positive control of them. the problem with radio control is they can be set off by a stray signal, or you could set it off without having positive control of it's surroundings (out of the line of sight, and not knowing if people are too near it). companies that do fireworks shows usually have their devices direct wired, and have positive control of the igniting equipment, and the area around the launchers.

So I'm VERY much against putting exact details out there of how to detonate a bomb remotely - just because it's already out there doesn't mean it's a good idea to add more.
I agree 100%.

There are many readily available devices online - you can even buy wireless firework igniter systems on Amazon.

Why would someone want to make one rather than buy one? It could be technical curiosity, or it could be that commercial devices are easily identified and traced, whilst a one-off device is not.
No one but the OP knows the true reason.

Plus a home made setup is less likely to be safe and interference-immune, even if it's only used for fireworks - I'd not like the idea of something going off in a persons face as they were setting it up, due to a design flaw or stray signal!

A device triggered by a 24 bit number sent remotely is a lottery I don't want to win. The remotes on Amazon etc. are a lot less than 24 bits. Using a walkie talkie to detonate anything is just stupid.

Mike.

I actually flagged the post for review, based on similar posts that have been cut off in the past. Perhaps I'm too twitchy, but based on recent events in the US Capitol, and the unrepentant nature of the crazies involved, igniting a magnesium flare using a walkie talkie has some potentially deadly consequences.
If only the recent event in the capitol could have been a summer of love, and months of fiery but mostly-peaceful protests. Then everyone would be happy.

It's a simple statement of fact - American funded terrorism set off MANY bombs in the UK, killing many men, women and children.
When you can support that with credible evidence let me know because all I see is unfounded nonsense. Fact implies you can substantiate it and if you could have you would have. Has the issue gone before a committee or the UN? Sheeple who believe everything they hear scare me more than a terrorist threat and for those who could believe this thread had anything to do with terrorism you have much to learn. Do not take cheap unfounded shots at my country because we shoot back. Also, spare the use of bold face type because in a discussion it reflects weakness. Evidence?

The original post:
"Hey. So I am currently working on an interesting project. I am trying to make a wireless ignitor for a small magnesium flare. What I do not understand is how to get the electronic part of this project to work. I essentially need to wire up a Baofeng BF-888S walkie-talkie in such a way that it will be able to heat a small piece of 46 AWG (0.04mm) Nichrome wire to a temperature sufficient to ignite a match. I was going to do this by disconnecting the speaker, and using the wires that power it as my source of electricity. The issue is, from everything I have seen, the output for the speaker will not be enough to heat the wire. What should I do? I am sure I could use some kind of relay plugged into an extension cord, but the whole point was for it to be wireless. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks".

Has anyone here been involved with Estes or similar model rocketry and remote launch. Most IED are well beyond using magnesium for a bomb. A bright light flare then yes. While I don't see an electronics forum as a place to find ordinance experts I would expect enough common sense to prevail. If the terrorist have some people overly reading into things and making foolish conclusions then they are where they want to be.

Finally if a claim is made it should be backed up and supported with credible evidence and credible evidence is not the tabloids I see in my supermarket checkout line. :)

Ron

It's easier to forbid than restrict. A student worker puts motor oil in a horizontal band saw for coolant. Everyone looses access to the shop materials. They supposedly could not control him. He was graduating and leaving for good within weeks, He locked his office with the keys in it. I "got in trouble" because I knew of a non-destructive way (a phone call) to get his office opened. He broke down the door and damaged it. The department manager just shook his head when he walked by, Management said to me that they could not control him.

We sold a large TIG/Stick welder and got a small MIG welder for the shop. I got a chance to use it. it was set up for me to try to butt weld a piece of bar steel. next thing you know, the director issues a memo that only one person is allowed to use the MIG welder.
When we had a head shop person and an apprentice shop person, the question of what;s the most dangerous machine in the shop?
The 5 hp engine lathe and the table saw were often mentioned. The table saw was the piece agreed was the most harmful.

We had very few shop accidents that I remember. The trained supervisor/machinest got a metal splinter in his eye. The apprentice, now the only shop person, turned the mill on with the box end of a wrench on the quill. I had two small acccidents. By hand slipped and it ran into a sharp cutting tool (lathe tool) I was making. The other one was when a drill bit caught a piece of thin sheet metal turning it into a rotary knife.

Because of a few nooses at Home Depot, you can't buy rope by the foot anymore. I bought about 20' probably 6 months before the ban so i could install a trunk lift shock.

Computers were stolen at work because a garage door was left unlocked. Solution was incomplete. Sensors were placed on the garage (opened) and sensors on fire doors to make sure they were closed at going home time. They should have put door prop alarms on the main doors. They had RFID entry, Physical keys were very rare.

Huh. I am reminded of the strong restrictions on buying acid in the UK (business only or you buy a license) now due to criminally brain-dead idiots throwing it in people's faces.

Huh. I am reminded of the strong restrictions on buying acid in the UK (business only or you buy a license) now due to criminally brain-dead idiots throwing it in people's faces.

Going back 30-40 years I went from work to the Chemists on a Saturday to buy some Methylated Spirits, we used it for cleaning tape recorder belts etc.

They wouldn't sell it me - apparently they weren't allowed to sell it on Saturdays? - presumably the meths drinkers are weekends only?.

Just to be clear, the concern is not that the moderators think the OP is attempting to create a device to harm others. The concern is that the information presented in response to the OP may be used by someone else in the future who stumbles across the thread do do something harmful. We do not want to host such information here.

So you don't consider a request for a remote control bomb detonator (which is essentially what it is) of any consequence?.

So you figure this is acceptable from moderation? Wonder how US sponsors funding this forum would feel? Goodwin took what amounts to a cheap shot at my country. You guys are good with his claim the US funds terrorist? Claims it for years? Goodwin should be canned and made to apologize for his cheap shot. That is all it was and had no business being included in his pathetic post. Don't like my country? How would you feel if I started taking cheap shots at The United Kingdom?

DerStorm8 nice reply So the thread was closed to ward off what might happen and not based on the original post? Not what I saw in Goodwin's response.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back