Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Possible New Electronic Content thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmtech

Banned
Most Helpful Member
I have been reading through som eof the older threads and posts and a subject I see tha does come up form time to time is simple "how to do it" Questions about how to find or repair, or get a cheap fix done.

Would there be any interest in adding another thread to the Electronic Content section called Tricks and Tips.

It could be sub devided into differnent areas like:

Fabulous Fabrications tips!
These would relate to ways to physical build a circuit or device.

Dumpster Diver tips!
(my favorite)
This would include ways to reuse or recycle items of circuits or parts in unique yet usefull ways.

You can get it here. Tips!
This would be useful locations or websites for getting parts or supplies related to creating or repairing stuff. Also would include types of local business or places you know of that carry those often asked about items new, used, surplus or salvaged.

Its Alive? Robotics tips!
Stuff related to robotics of course.

The coma does what now? Programing Tips!
Things related to the microprcessor programing guys. (not my area)

Well you see what I am getting at.
Any interst in such an addition?

I think it would be a great resource for new and seasoned people to pass alog usefull ideas on how to do and get stuff.

Just a thought.

Or is there allready a thread related to this that I have just not found?

Last edited:
There should be edited sticky threads for these kinds of topics in the forums. tcm, perhaps you should hit electro-master up to become a moderator =)

Dont know about that. It could actualy be work! :eek:

Maybe! :)

I like the first three ideas. We have a robotics and programming forum, so those areas are covered pretty well, IMO.

The dumpster dive section could be fun. Maybe some of us could take apart everyday items and outline (with lots of pictures) what can be found in them and how to remove it and what its worth saving for.

The fabrication section could be interesting also. Not sure how many would contribute though. I made a large air variable capacitor I could add. Might be fun to see some home made or rewound transformers.

I am not sure how we could compile a list of suppliers. The forum is a world wide thing, so i suppose it would first have to be broke down by country, then possibly some of the major reputable suppliers could be listed and a breif description of what they sell? Like I say, I don't know how this could be done well.

I dont go near the robotics or programming so I dont have any references to what they do. Its not my areas.

Thats what I was shooting for. many of us have things that are every day to us but never heard of to others. How many posts have you read comming from some kid or adult trying to reinvent a common item because he did not know there were factory made units available?

Same with fabrication. I still have people watch what i do when I work and are apsoultly amazed to see how I handle a complex problem with an unconventional solution.

The supply part is simple just give referances to common places anyone can find. Like when someone is looking for cheap lead acid batteries I would suggest truck stops, salvage yards and large equipmnet repair shops. I know all of them deal in big batteries or machines that use multiple batteries. They all get used ones and some are still good.
If your just experimenting why buy a $200 truck battery when you can get a used but still functional one from a set that only had one out of several go bad.
Often for scrap price.

That what I am shooting for. general pointers to help people get stuff or do stuff easier.

Actually tcmtech as good of an idea as it is there is one major problem. Getting the 'kids' to read it =O A lot of the 'kid' posts are all people that are trying to take shortcuts and won't even try google or wikipedia first, so it's sort of a problem =) I would like more sticky threads though for the common bits.

Just put a non realivant title on it like "Blow Stuff up With electricity! "

Every one of them will read it from begining to end looking for how to "Blow Stuff up With Electricity".

I've been around teens and young adults long enough to know what they are thinking about.
If it involves "Blow stuff up with (anything)" Its a top read!

How about a "Need Help Wth My Class Project" forum? It should be setup so that the thread is automaticaly locked after the first post and the poster gets a 72hr. ban!!;)

Last edited:
I like that idea Hitech =)

I really like the dumpster diving idea. My wife has wanted me to toss some old stuff for years and I've wondered about the viability of salvaging parts. I did break down and actually rip apart an old AIX box (43p) and got the motors off of the cd drive and floppy. Wonder what tips the experts have and what is actually worth saving?

I put a few dumpster diver tips in the Grid tie inverter thread. They were ones I thought would be some what relative to salvaging and basic setup and testing. :)

Come on! dont ruin it for me! I like the "do my project for me" kids! They remind me of a few former bosses. That thought alone keeps me motivated to stay self emloyed right there. :D

Plus its fun to land mine them with painfuly obvious schematical errors and stuff! :D
Its my outlet! Do you really want someone like me to go off the deep end? :eek:

Attachments

• images[1].jpg
    images[1].jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 142
Dumpster diving. Something like this?

(BTW this is my study :D)

P3204591.JPG

Yeah, what IS that thing?

Looks like something out of an arcade game or something to me:confused:

BTW, I love the big blue barrel of circuit boards:D

Same problem here too! :D

:D I clean when I am stressed out. I also take medication for stress. When I start cleaning I know its time to get back on the meds. My place is messy but that just tells me the meds really do work! :D

Attachments

• DCP01339.JPG
    DCP01339.JPG
    305.9 KB · Views: 181
  • DCP01338.JPG
    DCP01338.JPG
    325.2 KB · Views: 177
  • DCP01335.JPG
    DCP01335.JPG
    259.6 KB · Views: 168
  • DCP01336.JPG
    DCP01336.JPG
    300.1 KB · Views: 246
Low Tech Low Stress Technology

Same problem here too! :D

:D I clean when I am stressed out. I also take medication for stress. When I start cleaning I know its time to get back on the meds. My place is messy but that just tells me the meds really do work! :D

I think I have your acronym (TCM) Time Cleaning Management Technology.

Check out the Avatars.

I like the one on the (Right):)

kv:D:D:D

I think it should be sort of Electrified or something Like those outer post could be coils and such inside might be like plasma. To the touch.

Edit: So, maybe a plasma Beam right down thru the center and Vortex rings outward on both ends ? Turn the thing Horizontal too !

Edit: I forgot. Every (Time hour glass plasma doo-hikie or thingamabob,) will need a flux capacitor.:p

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 148
  • a8-shape-feather.png
    a8-shape-feather.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips