Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Possible hacking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sincerely apologize for the very obscure first post. I usually try to include more information but this time I was in a major hurry.
I guess "hacked" is not exactly the right word for it. I have just noticed that my computer has gotten much slower and often freezes up while I am online, and there is no way to fix it except to reboot the system. Often the cursor does not even move when I "tell" it to, and I am wondering if I may have picked up a virus of some sort. I just ran the CCleaner (which was already installed on my computer, thank goodness ;) ) but I have yet to tell if it helps.
I am not sure if this it is connected at all to the "freezing" problem, but my laptop has been getting unusually warm (actually, hot) on the bottom and I am somewhat concerned. There have been times that it was even too hot to touch. I recently bought a Belkin chill pad for it and it seems to help reduce the heat, but the computer continues to freeze up. Does anyone have any idea why this might happen, and how to fix it?
Again, I apologize for the uninformative first post, and I thank you all for any help you are able to give.
Best regards,
Der Strom

Well I see where heat was well covered and heat will give symptoms like freezing and simply quit responding. Additionally visit the manufacturers website looking for graphics driver updates.

Next, if you haven't done so on an XP system running a system defrag won't hurt. In Windows XP Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter. This can be a long process depending on the hard drive size but I would run it if you haven't.

So a D&C (Dusting and Cleaning), check for current driver updates, and run a system defragmentation. That is what I would start with. :)

There are other possibilities but I would start there.

Ron

Well I see where heat was well covered and heat will give symptoms like freezing and simply quit responding. Additionally visit the manufacturers website looking for graphics driver updates.

Next, if you haven't done so on an XP system running a system defrag won't hurt. In Windows XP Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter. This can be a long process depending on the hard drive size but I would run it if you haven't.

So a D&C (Dusting and Cleaning), check for current driver updates, and run a system defragmentation. That is what I would start with. :)

There are other possibilities but I would start there.

Ron

Thanks, Ron.
I have run the disk defrag a couple of times already but I will try it again, just to make sure. Thank you!
Der Strom

It's been 8 months now since my last PC cleaning and I already know it's due because full PC utilization has caused the fan noise in the PC to change, even in the dead of winter here where the air temperature is low. If this were the summer my PC would be crashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back