Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Portable Battery Pack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a RCA Lyra RD2780 (It's an audio/video jukebox) and I am going camping next week. There are no outlets, so I was wondering how I am going to recharge the battery.

Is there a way to make a portable battery pack that i could put AA's or 9v's in?

It has a DC In input where you plug in the power jack.

Please reply quickly, I am leaving tomorrow!

Better learn to sing then. :lol:

Find out the voltage for it and put in a suitable number of batteries to achieve that voltage. It should say "DC 9v" or whatever on that input, or look in the manual to find out. You will need to buy a jack to plug into that input (presumably a barrel type), battery holders and some hookup wire. Being able to solder is pretty well nessacary though, to solder the plug properly.

Or you could get a thermo-electric generator and get your dragon to breath fire on it.

JimB

Unless you walked to the camp site, or used a bike, why not let the car recharge the battery. Many cigarette lighter adapters are available for this purpose. Building one would be very easy also.

I still like JimB's idea best though.

we walked to the campsite and there was no car to charge it from.

i built an external battery pack for it, but it didnt work.

the adapter that i plug into the wall outputs 5v, but the guy at radio shack told me 6v would work, so that could be the problem, but i'm not sure.

i took 2 two-celled C battery packs and taped them together back to back. then i soldered both of the positive outputs together(red) and the 2 negative outputs(black) together. then i soldered the positive outputs to the positive wire of the adapter thing that fits my mp4 player. last, i soldered the negative outputs to the ground of the adapter. i wrapped each soldering with electrical tape to prevent them from touching.

if i did anything wrong, please tell me. or if you can think of anything else to do to make it work. also, just post if you have any questions.

i can get a picture of it if you need me to.

If I understand your description correctly, your problem is that the battery pack is producing 3 volts, not 6, since you wired them in parallel, not series.

Maybe a description would help: Batteries in a normal flashlight ( end to end, in a line ) are in series, the voltage of each battery adding to the previous. So if you have 2 batteries , each 1.5 volts, in series you get 3 volts, they add up.

Another way to connect them is in parallel, where the positives are all connected together and the negatives are connected together. Here, 2 batteries each of 1.5 volts, would still produce 1.5 volts

- so -

Each battery pack has 2 "c" cells, at 1.5 volts each, wired in series, producing 3 volts. You connected 2 of these packs in parallel, resulting in 3 volts. The parallel wiring will give you a longer running life, but not increase the voltage. You need to connect the 2 battery packs in series to get 6 volts. Take one balck wire on one pack, connect it to the negative of the adapter. Take that packs red wire, connect it to the black wire of the other pack. Take the remaining red wire, and connect it to the positive of the adapter.

Hope this helps. If I misunderstood you ignore the above, lol 8)

Hi,

It wont stay at six volts for long. In use it will soon drop to
around five and a half, then it should be a good while before it
gets too low to run properly.
I don't think that starting it at six volts would do any harm.

Best of luck with it, John :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back