Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Popup window for new users/posters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

I just reccently thought of this, but we should have a screen that pops up IN HINDI and it should warn about asking for projects, etc and see how it works.

I use google translate to translate stuff from english to other languages:
Dont ask for projects = परियोजनाओं के लिए मत पूछो.
Do your own homework = अपनी खुद की होमवर्क करो.
While on the forum, we advise you not to ask fellow members in any forum for help on your homework, a project, the answers to a test, or the use of text speak, all of which is prohibited = इस मंच जहां पर, हम आपको किसी भी मंच पर अपना होमवर्क, एक परियोजना, एक परीक्षा है, या पाठ के उपयोग के जवाब में मदद के लिए साथी सदस्यों को पूछने के लिए नहीं सलाह, जिनमें से सब निषिद्ध है बोलते हैं.

IT IS PERFECT.
यह सही है.​

Nah, Its severly flawed! :(
Your expecting people that use computers every day to read a pop up! From years of ignoring them they are subconciously preconditoned to ignor it and will just click it out of their way and continue on. :)

Prove me wrong! :D

It will ask for your credit card number and then stick you with a monthly bill that you can never cancel!

यह एक कमाल का विचार ह. यह नए उपयोगकर्ताओं को परियोजनाओं के लिए पूछ रही सीमित के लिए उपयोगी है. के साथ और krumlink को लागू हो जाना. लेकिन एक सवाल.
छात्रों को भारत से ही हैं?
यदि आप को लागू कर सकती थी एक सुपर मॉडरेटर हो तो अभी ही है. मैं सही हूँ?

I don't think that's a bad idea at all, but I wouldn't limit it to Hindi. It is not too difficult to detect the native language initially requested by the user's browser, and show the message in that language. Failing that a simple IP geolocation could be used, although these lookups are hardly foolproof.

Torben

P.S. Krumlink, I know you don't like me that much but I'm glad to see you're back. Believe it or not as you wish. :)

While on the forum, we advise you not to ask fellow members in any forum for help on your homework, a project, the answers to a test
I disagree with that part.

I don't see anything wrong with helping people with homework but I have a big problem with doing all the work for them.

I think it should be:

We will help you with your homework but we will not do all the work for you. If you want help, then post what you've already done and we might be able to tell you where you've gone wrong.

If you start a thread asking questions but have clearly made no attempt at finding the answers it will be deleted by a moderator. Asking a question who's answer can easily be found using a search engine falls under this category.

My browser (Firefox) automatically blocks pop-ups. It's not the request for help with homework or school projects, but the lack of any effort to start, or even try to solve the problem on their own, before asking. Some might be language, heard English isn't the easiest to learn. Maybe suggest they use a translator to help them add detail.

The main problem being, almost nobody reads the rules or guidelines, until they need to. I don't usually read the step-by-step instructions when when assembling most things, until I get down to the extra parts left over, which isn't often.

Finally, we don't really want to offend new members. So they got off to a bad start, doesn't mean they are bad people, or couldn't learn to post properly. Might be a little lazy, doesn't mean they are stupid too...

It is possible to force up on a newly joined member to read the forum rules and guidelines before starting any activities. Selected number of sticky threads can be displayed or can be diverted to an open thread displaying "Request for student projects is prohibited" or whatever need to be there. Of course, this should be applicable only for the very first logging in. That should be an eye catching one. Let us see how it will affect on the number of foolish student project threads.

Probably not at all Dr Mandrake, they're a determined bunch.

How about a simple quiz for new members, to be passed, before they can start posting. A few question picked at random, user must answer most correctly. The questions come from TOS and Guidelines, and centered around areas most abused. Might not stop the problem, but will guarantee the new member has read and understands what is expected here. Corrective measures from that point on would simple, since violation would have be intentional.

Just a suggestion which I have seen during my experience on other forums. Important forum announcements will be displayed first even for a regular member while login. IMO that can significantly affect on the users. A few of them are misusing it for advertising purposes even. These forums are dynamic for any changes and needs. Warning is always better than avoiding/disappointing/teasing a little school boy.

How about a simple quiz for new members, to be passed, before they can start posting. A few question picked at random, user must answer most correctly. The questions come from TOS and Guidelines, and centered around areas most abused. Might not stop the problem, but will guarantee the new member has read and understands what is expected here. Corrective measures from that point on would simple, since violation would have be intentional.

That's an excellent idea. A simple quiz would also behave like a simple captua to prevent bots from registering.

Yeah hero but it would also stifle new users =) A website lives on traffic. So even the idiots and nut jobs help pay the bills.

Yeah hero but it would also stifle new users =) A website lives on traffic. So even the idiots and nut jobs help pay the bills.

Anybody can visit the site, unregistered, doubt it would reduce traffic much. A few simplistic questions, to verify the prospective member is familiar with the rules before posting isn't going stop anyone, even nut jobs and idiots. Besides, what about the regular members? How many have gotten tired of reading the same thoughtless posts from lazy students, and moved on to more productive ventures? A lot of these new users are one post wonders anyway, stop by until their project or homework is due, then don't return, until the next assignment, and re-register anyway.

Even if the new user doesn't read the rules, and guesses, they still have to read, think, and learn.

Ehhh, true, didn't think of that Harvey =0 Requires a very active web master though and moderators too. The only actual moderator I know of is Nigel. If I can barely keep up with the new posts here even when I'm trying it's not possible for him to moderate them all. Some kind of restrictions on new users would be nice.

Just keep ignoring the real dumb questions! I do. Its part of the way things work.

Try to answer the honest ones and do what you can. But make it clear what level of help they are going to get.

If they dont want to work to pass somthing let them fail. It does not hurt me any.
I have seen several thread posteres that just needed a little push to get them going the right way too!

You are right about that. It is difficult to tell from the first post if the person needs help or is a slacker.

When they start out with "I want a system with schematics, code, and full documentation.... It is difficult to see the OP as anything but a slacker.

Just the same I think it is best to attempt to steer the poster in the right direction. The "would you like fries" thing is a bit crude.

3v0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back