Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Popular Micro and why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Hey my friends i know this is kinda not a technical issue or anything but a informational request.

If possible i would like the users here to post the PIC/AVR/ARM they use the most and why. Meaning post what you like about the pic the most. Also if they have any links to projects with them.

Please don't post all the Micros you own just the ones you use the most. I am trying to gather information is all.

Thank for your time.

EDIT:

Extending this post to other ICs as well.
EXAMPLE:
USB To USART Interface FT232RL.

Last edited:
Availability of through-hole parts (though that may not be such a big deal anymore but it certainly used to be), availibility from vendors, and free compilers. THe datasheets of a PIC are also among the easiest to understand in my opinion.

Last edited:
Thanks but im asking more for what item in specific.
Something like... ill post my fav pic.

I like the 18F4620 mainly because its a large pic with 40 pins. Has all the needed hardware like USART, SPI/i2c and more. Also has a large amount of memory on board.

You can post anything like that. I dont care if its about PICs,AVRs or ARMs MCUs. Its a question of popularity. Like i plan to make some tools and projects later on and would like to know whats most likely to sell. I want to know what the users are interested in.

If i teach something it wont be what i want to teach its more of what others want to learn. I want to know whats popular and why (custom opinions).

Personally I like the Pic24s or pic33s for most of my projects. I use the 28-pin dip version for breadboarding, and try to select the model with the most memory and features that's in stock.

Almost all my projects are power based of some sort (smps, motor controls, intverters, chargers, etc) and these particular pics have some additional features that make it very easy. Plus I like having a 16-bit core.

I like PICxxHVxx because I can run then at 12 volts.
I like the 6 pin PICs because I do very small projects.
Many PICs will work form 5.5 volts to 2.0 volts. (battery project)
I like Tiny AVR because 1.8 volts and two fast hardware PWM.
For BIG projects I like ARM.

The only micro I use on your list is the ARM7 and specifically the AT91SAM7, but I'd like to move to the LPC's. There's more hardware options.

The only practical project I have with these is my more advanced Ethernet controller/server. (I say 'more advanced' because I have an 8bit ethernet controller/server as well)

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Thanks guys:

smanches and ronsimpson can you specify a Micro specifically that you've recently used please.

Mark :
That is beautiful. i like the way it plugs into the breadboard. Did you make that yourself? Like sent out for the board i assume... but did you hand solder / oven solder it yourself? I ask because it came out so professional.

Last edited:
PIC10F202, 12F580, 16F690, 16F873 and the 18F??? that is pin compatable with the16F873. I like micros with internal OSC. & internal RESET.
I use the little 6 pin micros that are the same size as a transistor.

I like the ATtiny13, since most of my projects are small, and seldom use more than one or two of the hardware features at a time. Works fine off a single AA rechargeable battery, although the datasheet says 1.8 volts. Bought 25, at 78 cents each last time, so don't worry about my abusive nature while experimenting. Use the Attiny2313 for LCD stuff...

Mark :
That is beautiful. i like the way it plugs into the breadboard. Did you make that yourself? Like sent out for the board i assume... but did you hand solder / oven solder it yourself? I ask because it came out so professional.

Thanks. I soldered everything with an iron except for the tiny QFN16 RTC chip on the top of the board. I applied a bit of paste as centered as I could on the contacts and hit it with some hot air from my rework station.

If you are thinking commercial I would suggest that you consider supporting the lower end PICs, like 16F628A, 12F675, 16F887 etc. Hobbyists have these in stock, also the hobby oriented parts suppliers stock these (+ heaps of them on Ebay etc) so they are seen as "standards" in a way. If you use the newer/bigger PICs exclusively you will alienate many potential customers who would like to use the chips they know/have/can get/can program.

I like the tiny11's myself, unfortunately they've been discontinued, they didn't have a lot of features but they were only 50 cents. I miss them terribly, I still have a few from my last Digikey purchase, they make great LED blinkers. The Tiny25/45/85 (different memory sizes) are my next favorite, massive features in an 8pin package. The tiny15's are nice for switch mode or motor drive applications because it has a PLL module which allows a PWM out of up to 100khz at 8 bit. For a few extra pins the tiny26/46/86's are nice, for real projects the Mega series has everything including the kitchen sink built in.

I prefer AVRs over PICs, for many reasons, mainly it's because AVR's are newer than PIC's the feature set is much more standardized across the entire line of products so it's much easier to 'change gears' than it is with a PIC. Even the tiny11 has the same core features as the Mega series. The same can not be said for PIC's where moving from say the 12 series to the 18 series is basically re-learning the whole chip from scratch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back