Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pop Crackle & Bang

Status
Not open for further replies.

tansis

Today is a sad day :(
for today my faithfull Hi-fi amp has ceased to function,
seven years it has filled the air with joy and kept my
mug of tea warm since being rescued from the rubbish
bin outside a TV shop.

Time and prolonged thermal stress has finally caught up
with the NAD 3140 , but being a bit of an animal the old girl
went out in style and managed to trash a 15" bass cone :lol:
before vapourising trackwork and exploding two electrolytics.

Now rather than rebuild the original mess , I have decided to
go with a new circuit and re-use the case as it saves hassle with the twenty something phono sockets and other various connectors that inhabit
the rear plate, plus the power supply is still good and the transformers are of the shielded variety. Rectified and smoothed these each produce 48vdc fused at 3.15 amps.

Any suggestions for amplifier IC's to look at would be most welcome.
Was toying with the idea of a TDA 2052 for ease of construction or similar lower power device operating in a bridged mode.

[60 watts is not crucial but it is good to have in reserve]

I would suggest repairing the NAD would be a better option, certainly replacing the NAD's power amplifiers (which is a fairly well respected quality amplifier!) with some cheap and nasty IC amps is sacrilege!.

Yeah, try to repair it, don't let a few molten pcb tracks stop you...
I once replaced over 100 pcb tracks with wires in a lightning-struck television... Don't laugh - It worked :p (after replacing some other components asswell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back