Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pool pump switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUDD206

I have a 1 hp Hayward super pump that is wired for 240 volt , My problem is the switch for the pump is inside the garage. I saw a pump like mine on a pool that had a switch on the wall at the pump, like a light switch for out side. I have done some of my own wireing and can do a simple light switch, but Iam not so sure about breaking one wire on 240 volt motor, does anybody know how I can control this motor with a simple outdoor light switch ? Thanks for the help!!

You'll need a double pole switch..If you just open one phase you ,or someone servicing it, run the risk of getting shocked. In the U.S. it's also a code violation. You would wire the switch much the same as a light switch except you open both phases..If you wanted to get elaborate you could go with low voltage control and a contactor, but the double pole switch is the usual method...You could also use a 220 circuit breaker in a weatherproof enclosure. make sure that it's not near enough to the water that someone doesn't try activating it while in the pool..

Thanks for the Quick reply Gerty ? Do you know if they make a double pole swith for wet locations ? I well try the hardware store.

you can put it in a weatherproof box w/cover..
If you use a metal box or cover make sure it's grounded...

You should also look into a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) for the circuit since I expect you'll be using it outdoors near water ... could prevent someone from being severely injured (or worse) should there be a problem with the electrical system (motor, wiring, switch, etc.) JB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back