Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

polorized plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark D

Can anyone give a detailed example of how a specific appliance could be damage or be unsafe because it’s polarized plug was plugged into a outlet that had the hot wire and neutral reversed?

I think the polorized idea is designed more for operator protection than appliance protection. Since the house neutral is eventually connected to the earth ground, the appliance maker is, by always knowing which wire will eventually go to ground, able to design a safer product.

BTW, did you know that polorized plugs are magical. Yep, no matter how you grab the plug, it will always be backwards to the way it should be to slide into the receptical - at least for me. :D

BTW, did you know that polorized plugs are magical. Yep, no matter how you grab the plug, it will always be backwards to the way it should be to slide into the

That is only part of their magical ability - if you grab one in the dark, it will not fit into the socket, no matter how many times you turn it around. They can only be plugged in with the lights on! :D

Mark D said:
Can anyone give a detailed example of how a specific appliance could be damage or be unsafe because it’s polarized plug was plugged into a outlet that had the hot wire and neutral reversed?

i HAD (note HAD) a pair of speakers that could be boosted if you put 9V DC into it. but not knowing that i decided tht i had a supply that had the right sized plug into it. i turned it on and bang there goes the speakers. on closer inspection i discovered that the supply i had put in was infact 12V and wait for it....AC. the thing didn't go straight away, give it a couple of seconds. so imagine what would happen if it polarities the wrong way!!

Kieran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back