Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Poll on Training or Education Level

What is your level of training?

• Self taught

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • High School

• Trade or Technical School

• Jr. College

• University

• Hobby

• Work related

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe you'd call it "Technical School" degree in computer science. I also have some college/university education, but no diploma there. Dropped out as soon as money started pooring in. :roll::oops: No money's been pooring my way for a while now :lol: But I enjoyed it while I could. 8)

Self-taught photographer, cabinetmaker/woodworker and guitar player. And I'm teaching myself electronics & uC programming. And learning Russian in my spare spare-time :lol:

Mine started as a Hobby in JR High School, then some tinkering with car radios (tube type) that I would confiscate from a radio repair shop trash can. Almost every day on the back from High School, I would make a mental note when passing by on the way to school :lol:
Worked for Estey Electronics (Organ and Guitar Amplifiers)
Tektronix (Electronic test Equipment and there I received after hours Training)
Then some college,
then correspondent courses (Military)
Then On the Job (Long Beach Naval Shipyard)
and then Puget Sound Naval Shipyard (Communication's Military and commercial two way, Test Equipment Calibration, Circuit Card repair 2M,
Received MY Ham License,
Then Jr College,
And then My GROL License,
and now setting up to repair and collect Old tube radios
and last but not least use Forums :shock: for more experience
and retired by the Way. :p

I'm currently in my 4th year for EE (going 5 years total, and I might even stick around alittle while longer and get a double major in CompEng.)

I voted self-taught though, becasue my schooling really hasn't taught me how to apply/use anything that they teach me.

jrz126 said:
I'm currently in my 4th year for EE (going 5 years total, and I might even stick around alittle while longer and get a double major in CompEng.)

I voted self-taught though, becasue my schooling really hasn't taught me how to apply/use anything that they teach me.

I learned more about circuit design in my first year out of school than 5 years in EE (1 year co-op)

School learning = background to understand.
Job learning = how to make REAL things work.

IMO, it is best to have both.

I did Diploma in Instrumentation Engineering (3 years)
then Bachelors in Instrumentation and Control Engineering (3 years)
Now from past 2 years I have been working as Hardware design engineer in Automotive systems (related to design of contol units)

BSEE from San Jose State, 1966.
I agree with Optikon. In fact, I'm not sure design can be taught. When I was in school, I learned analysis. I think design is learned in the school of Hard Knocks.
The only thing I learned in school was Ohm's law, and it had just recently made it through Congress. :lol:

I'll guarantee that a self-taught "engineer" will have huge holes in his/her understanding of electronics. You can probably find a niche where you can perform, but a lot of the really theoretical stuff will be a fog that you will always wonder about if you encounter it, because it is extremely hard to learn on your own. This is especially true of analog stuff, and it is becoming ever more important to understand analog if you are doing digital design.

Sometimes these polls are rather difficult to participate in, because I could have easily fit into several categories, but TRADE/TECHNICAL school seemed to be the best for me. If I had to divide where I got most off my understanding, I would sum it up this way:

US Army Signal School/4 months of school, 4 years of experience...(electronic communications)...10 %...The most important skill I came away with here was logical troubleshooting techniques.

Instrumentation and Control Tech Apprentice School/4 years...(industrial control systems)...30 %...Built a strong foundation of basic electronics knowledge as well as trade related training.

Self Study/ongoing...(various technologies)...20 %...Anything from reading books to studying schematics.

Practical experience...(work/hobby/home)...40%...The school of hard knocks, on the job repairs, successes and failures, experimentation, as well as enjoying my new hobby of amateur radio.

Ron H said:
BSEE from San Jose State, 1966.
I agree with Optikon. In fact, I'm not sure design can be taught. When I was in school, I learned analysis. I think design is learned in the school of Hard Knocks.
The only thing I learned in school was ohm's law, and it had just recently made it through Congress. :lol:

I'll guarantee that a self-taught "engineer" will have huge holes in his/her understanding of electronics. You can probably find a niche where you can perform, but a lot of the really theoretical stuff will be a fog that you will always wonder about if you encounter it, because it is extremely hard to learn on your own. This is especially true of analog stuff, and it is becoming ever more important to understand analog if you are doing digital design.

You coined a new term:

Analog Fog

One definition, The state of confusion one encounters when the electronic analog design is sufficiently more complex than his/her ability to understand it.
Symptoms:
1) the attempt to understand it by throwing it in a Pspice simulation.
2) trying to justify reasons why the design is bad/convoluted and should be re-done from scratch (read YOUR WAY). Also known as avoidance.

Cures:
1) Swallow your pride and ask lots of questions to those more knowledgeable in the area of trouble.
2) Spend time researching the fundamentals and attempt a divide & conquer strategy. This might involve opening up one of those old textbooks. Don't let that discourage you. If you had a perfect memory, you'de be a historian (well ok maybe not)

Related: See digital fog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back