Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PNP Transistor state change

Status
Not open for further replies.

drkidd22

Hello,

I have this circuit which is partially working.
When I set the signal from the pic to LOW D32, D3 and D45 turn on and the output from U59 changes state.
The issue is when I try to turn it off, only D32 fully turns off. The gate of Q45 is therefore kept low thru the pull down.
But D3 and D45 remain on, slighlty, I tried adding a 10K pull up to the base of Q1, but that didn't help. Any input will be appreciated.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    15.7 KB · Views: 165
Where is the pull-up on pin 6 of U59?

Last edited:
Is there more to this circuit; like does the drain of Q45 drive something besides the base of Q1?

That's all there is to the circuit. The Q45 is not driving anything else. There is a pull up on the pic side for pin 6 of U59, but the issue I'm see is between Q45 and Q1.
It is a test circuit for now, but I will use Q45 to drive something else later. Want to understand what;s going on here first.

Why do you need two optoisolators?
One should be sufficient for any isolation requirements.

The logic is goofy. You might get what you want by changing R154 to a 1kΩ, this should pull down your gate enough, but still enough gate voltage to turn it on when the opto detector is on. This was the simplest change I could think of that just required 1 simple change. If this is done on breadboard, you should rethink the whole logic scheme, such as what cruts is alluding to. See LTspice file, I did not have exact models, but mosfet is close. I kinda rushed this so look for mistakes guys :)

optoswitch.PNG

Hi dr,
Welcome to ETO

The only thing I can see that may be causing your problem is if the MOSFET is oscillating. You could try putting a 22 Ohm resistor in series withe the gate of the MOSFET. The resistor needs to be mounted directly on the gate pin. Also, connect a 100nF or larger ceramic capacitor directly between the source and drain pins of the MOSFET.

Although the circuit should work, it has a couple of design issues and it is more complex than need be. Also a massive 16A MOSFET is not required, although I do appreciate that you may want to drive a heavy load later on.

spec

Last edited:
Although the circuit should work, it has a couple of design issues and it is more complex than need be. Also a massive 16A MOSFET is not required.
That is interesting notion (oscillation) which the 10k to 1k I suggested may fix. I agree with you and cruts on points mentioned above.

Q1 has collector and emitter swapped.
It's not connected wrong, it's just a PNP emitter follower circuit.
But Q1 seems to be unnecessary as I don't see what purpose it serves. You could remove it and the circuit would operate the same.

It's not connected wrong, it's just a PNP emitter follower circuit.
But Q1 seems to be unnecessary as I don't see what purpose it serves. You could remove it and the circuit would operate the same.
My mistake, I overlooked the arrow direction.

The circuit impedances do not look high enough to need this, but you can try adding a large value resistor from U41 pin7 to pin 5. Some optocouplers don't turn off completely without a little help.

ak

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back