Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Plz check this out for me again: urgent this time

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtheterrible

Could someone take a look @ this here oscilliscope? **broken link removed** It seems nice, but i did a little research, and the page says that its designed for slow moving or non-repetitive signals. **broken link removed**, yet its capable of 100 MHZ. What does that mean?

And what does this mean:Deflection factor from 5 mV /div to 5 V/div in a 1-2-5 sequence. I will be able to see more than 5 volt peaks, right?

Lastly, is this a good oscilliscope for doing RF stuff?

thanx :eek:

This might be hard for you to swallow but try to bear it in mind:

There is no such thing as an urgent message reply on this forum

You ask for answeres on the good will of others to give them free of charge, demanding an urgent reply is at best poor manners, IMO, downright rude.

You ask, we reply, if and when it suits us. Any urgency is entirely your problem to deal with :evil:

Klaus

fair enough, but come on man, the kid just wants to know if its worth getting before he misses the deadline for bids.

zachtheterrible said:
Could someone take a look @ this here oscilliscope? **broken link removed** It seems nice, but i did a little research, and the page says that its designed for slow moving or non-repetitive signals. **broken link removed**, yet its capable of 100 MHZ. What does that mean?

I've never used a storage scope, but as I understand them you can use then as a normal scope as well - in this case with 100MHz bandwidth. The storage option can also be extremely useful, in that you can effectively 'freeze' the screen - you know how with a VCR you can pause the tape and read something which only appears very briefly?, a storage scope does the same sort of thing - it allows you to 'freeze' the image of something which only happens once or occasionally. A good example would be to capture the output of an IR remote control, these have a slow repetition frequency and 'flicker' too much to see what's happening on a conventional scope - with a storage scope you can simply store the image and look at it at your leisure.

However - a storage scope is likely to be more complicated for you to use!.

And what does this mean:Deflection factor from 5 mV /div to 5 V/div in a 1-2-5 sequence. I will be able to see more than 5 volt peaks, right?

That's the standard sort of layout on scopes, the values mean 'per cm', so a maximum 5V/cm mean that each vertical square on the CRT represents 5V. By using a x10 probe this expands it to 50V/cm, which is usually as much as you need.

My scope at work has 8x1cm vertical squares, so can show a 40V p-p waveform, or 400V p-p with a x10 probe.

Personally, as a TV service engineer, I find the 5V/cm too limiting, which is why I don't use Tek scopes at work!.

Lastly, is this a good oscilliscope for doing RF stuff?

It looks a good general purpose scope, 100MHz is a good high bandwidth, but probably a little too low for VHF where you seem to be playing!. 100MHz is the 3db point, where the response has dropped by 3db - it usually falls very rapidly past there.

By comparison, I use a 50MHz scope at work, and have 30MHz, 20MHz, and 10MHz ones at home. Generally scopes aren't a huge amount of help in RF projects, so high bandwidths aren't as much benefit as you might think - but are always nice to have :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back