Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Plug/Connector recommendations needed…

Status
Not open for further replies.

phalanx

For the past couple of days I have been looking for a wire-to-wire plug and connector pair for 2 22AWG wires. My goal is to find as small of a connector as possible for a reasonably low price (floppy drive power connector or smaller). The maximum current it needs to handle is 400mA @ 30VDC. I would prefer crimped contacts due to the vibration of the environment it will be installed in but I will also consider insulation displacement ones.

So far I have found a few suitable wire mounted plugs but all the connectors have been board mounted which is not an option (because I need wire-to-wire). If any of you are familiar with a connector set that would work for me, I'm all ears! I'm surprised I haven't found an adequate solution through my normal channels.

-Bill

Last edited:
I've been looking for a similar solution. I have salvaged a few connectors that are perfect but can't find them in catalogs. Molex comes to mind but the ones I am familiar with are rather large - relative to 22 ga wire.

I did purchase some pins for PCB - and the female end to be connected to wires - if only I could find that except with a male end that connected to the wire. I can make that work but I know that's not what you want.

I finally found a solution that will work for me and not only is it carried by Digikey and in-stock, but it is also very inexpensive. For what ever reason, you can only get 22AWG contacts in socket form so it looks like I'll be switching to 24AWG wire.

Hirose DF3 Series single row connectors (2mm pitch)

2 pin plug: Digikey part # - H4035-ND - 1@$0.38, 25@$0.1808, 100@$0.135

2 pin socket: Digikey # - H2083-ND - 1@$0.23, 25@$0.09052, 100@$0.0589

24-28AWG plug contacts: Digikey # - H1502-ND - 100 for $8.06 (bulk) or $3.72 (cut tape)

24-28AWG socket contacts: Digikey # - H1500-ND - 100 for $6.51 (bulk) or $3.72 (cut tape)

Bullet connectors? I don't know if they exist for 22AWG wire. But they do for 12AWG wire, and they are pretty much right in line.

I considered bullet connectors because they are nice and cheap and would have been perfect if I was the only one using the device I'm building but I don't have faith in people to hook things up properly so I looked for a polarized connector!

The DF3's are pretty nice, but crimping the wires can be a royal pain. Digikey sells precrimped wire for the hirose connectors, and it makes things so much easier (especially when you get into the 1.25 mm pitch connectors.)

phalanx said:
I considered bullet connectors because they are nice and cheap and would have been perfect if I was the only one using the device I'm building but I don't have faith in people to hook things up properly so I looked for a polarized connector!

Its easy to have a pair of bullet connectors polarized. Just make sure you fit a male and female bullet to each pair of wires.
Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back