Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PLS HELP Me..I need ur help guys asap..

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocker_gurl

Im having my thesis ryt now..and i need to pass a proposal as soon as possible..but the worst is i still dont have any ideas..i really feel pressured..im a computer engineering student so the thesis must involved interfacing with hardware..anything that could be applicable in household chores or schools or office would be acceptable..much better if it wil involve microprocessor system or MPUs..pls help me to have ideas..ill appreciate it sow much!...promise.. :?

I'd like to see a wireless USB harddrive setup. It would work sort of like a wireless mouse, only you'd have a hard drive. I think that would be a fun little design.

One idea that has yet to be resolved is a computer that system that plugs together like a childs building blocks ( kinda like "Lego")

There is also a vast gap in the home automation market...

The X10 system is ok but it is an ugly add on , the only alternative is a full blown industrial controller and that makes for an awfull lot a cable.
[not to mention time and cussing routing it all]
Now if the power sockets were recessed into the wall ,like normal ones yet under individual pc control using a common power and say a twisted pair data cable.. (also come in handy for lighting )

Webcam Door-bell , be in when your out...you might even get some interest from the mobile phone companies on that one...

I think the biggest problem you would face is the data rate you need for a wireless hard drive to be successful. I think if you could achieve a good data rate (something in the 100s of Mbits), then you'd have a good idea on your hands.

I think it sounds fun, I'd like to work on it with someone, but I've got my own thesis to write :D

I can see why a wireless HD might be a good idea for the "coolness factor", but other than that I can't see how it would be of any great practical use. I mean, you're only ever going to access the HD when you're at a computer so, since you're already sitting in front of it, you may as well plug the HD into the computer using one of those HD caddies. There's never going to be a time when you need the HD to be wireless is there, because you're never going to be more than a foot away from a computer when you want to use it.

You might use wireless mice and keyboards as an argument against those points, but these devices are of use when made wireless because it means you don't have to keep tugging at leads when you're using them, so they DO solve a nuissance problem. A HD sits somewhere out of the way when in use, so there's no nuissance factor other than the hassle of having to plug it into a USB port to solve. Also, making a wireless interface for a keyboard or mouse is a cheap, simple process. Making a wireless interface for a HD is far more complex and in the real world would cost a hell of a lot more for no real end benefit. Another point to consider is that a wireless HD would need to plug into a mains outlet in order to be capable of transmitting so much data at such a high speed - battery power wouldn't really be a viable solution there. So even if you created a wireless communicating HD, it'd still need to plug in somewhere.

It'd be a good project from a challenge point of view though

Brian

Yeah you're right it doesn't have a huge amount of practical use. But the point of a Master's Thesis is to do something fairly simple that hasn't been done. And to my knowledge that hasn't been done.

It's got all kinds of fun little problems in there the wireless interfacting as well as achieving the huge data rates that are necessary.

I was thinking more about the educational aspect of doing this, I didn't really think it had a huge market place.

Whislt a HD might be impractical , devices such as digital camera's and other solid state portable media positively scream for this innovation of cordless connectivity...

tansis is right, a wireless camera would be a good idea. I have a spare USB lead which I leave trailling around my desk for mine so that I can just plug it in whenever I need to, but the trailing lead is a real nuissance, especially when it ends up falling down the back and I've got to hunt around in amoungst what seems like thousands of tangled leads for it.

I'm currently working on a project which will allow wireless metering of a television, which is a little to do with my line of work, but I don't think you'd be too interested in that...

Brian

do a search for ideas.

Go to google.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back