Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

anas.abusalah

Hi there ,
I have a function genarator that gives a sin wave of 10 V PK-PK with frequency 500Hz , I want to amplify this voltage to 110 V and the same frequency but without that much current drop.
I used tones of amplifiers but they reach the saturation point before 110V , and also I used a transformer that step the voltage up to 110 but the current droped to 0.5 mA which is much less than what I want ......

Can you please help with any idea even if your not sure about it I can do research and check it .......

Of course your current will go down as your voltage goes up. You'll lose more due from heat loss in the conversion.
So 10V @ 10A will be 1A @ 100V under perfect conditions.

Are you trying to build a UPS?

Last edited:
I think he is trying to make a pure sine-wave inverter with a sine-wave oscillator driving a linear amplifier.
But he doesn't know that a linear amplifier wastes almost as much power as the output by producing heat. Lots and lots of heat.

He does not understand Pulse-Width-Modulation that can produce a high power sine-wave but makes only a small amount of heat.

How much current do you want?

Your signal generator probably has an output impedance of 50R which won't give you much current so it's no wonder, when you connected the transformer, you only had 0.5mA before the voltage dropped to low.

An amplifier will saturate a bit below its supply voltage so for a peak output voltage of 110V you need a bridged amplifier with a power supply voltage of 115V, possibly even higher. For an RMS output voltage of 110V, you need a bridged amplifier with a supply voltage of at least 160VDC.

If using such a high DC voltagge power supply is not an option, then use a lower voltage audio amplfier and a transformer. As audioguru correctly stated, this is not an option for high power levels because the amplifier will loose half the power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back