Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

please help with motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dre22

I need to make some thing to control a directional motor.
its a simple motor reverse curent of wires it reverses direction.
i can't think of any way to do it with out using four switches.
what i need is to be able to do is have +/- on on switch
+ Batt _

+/- motor +/-

thank you for helping me..

The attached should help. The switch has 6 terminal, pretty common.

Attachments

• MotorDirection.jpg
    MotorDirection.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 109
Okay... First, should you be messing around with electronics? You asked about a (M)otor...

Will give you a quick safety tip when using a soldering pencil, don't touch the metal end while its plugged in, very hot, hurts bad.

The M is for the connection to your motor. Two wires, two connections.

Don't know about Radio Shaft, probably. I haven't been in one since I was in my 20s... They are very common switches, might already have one or two laying around. I attached a photo of two I dug up, but there are other styles, like push button, slide switch, rotory, even relays come in this configuration. They can even come momentary (have to hold it), and a center OFF position.

Attachments

• DPDT.jpg
    DPDT.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 117
Just a quick note.

What may not be obvious from the above comments, if the DPDT switch is just two position, you will need another switch to stop the motor.

If the DPDT switch has the centre off position, you will just need one switch.

If the motor you are trying to switch is more than just a little toy, i would recommend stopping the motor before changing directions.
Just slamming the thing into reverse while running forward can lead to some big currents flowing.
And as we know, big currents can release the smoke which is inside all electrical and electronic devices!

JimB

Isn't smoke and sparks the best part of learning about electronics? In high school we destroyed all kinds of stuff, just to see what happened when you abused stuff. The instructor didn't seem to mind if they were salvaged parts, and didn't actually see us doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back