Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

please help with ac flasher relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabefauver

Ok so I made a sign for a business (a nice big lighted one) and now they want a flashing arrow shaped sign on top of that one. So the only thing is they would like it to use standard incandescent bulbs, say two bulbs , 60 watts each. Any ideas on something to make the bulbs flash like once a second? hopefully something I can solder together myself. Thanks.

Timing accuracy or repeatability is not normally an issue with such trivial stuff, I would probably use a 555 timer driving an optocoupler with inbuilt zero crossing detector and a suitably rated triac.

rgds

Actually now that I have thought about what I just said, I would probably just build an astable multivibrator with a couple of transistors instead of using the 555...and place the optocoupler diode in the collector of one of the transistors.

Last edited:
Have you considered contacting the sign maker? They may have plug-in modules for your application, or can direct you to a parts supplier. My AC bulb flasher uses a 555 and 4017, linked to MCT2 optos and TIC106B triacs.

Attachments

• xmaslights.gif
    xmaslights.gif
    71.5 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Ok, maybe I should have said this to begin with but I really don't know what any of those things are. Maybe if you could help me to identify some of the components you described, like say common electronics that I could pull the parts off of? I have alot of electronic stuff laying around that I wouldn't mind recycling.

I would just look for a ready made flasher you can buy if you are not familiar with the basics. Not to say learning isn't great, but don't start with line voltage projects.

I doubt you will find any of the parts in old electronics. parts that are common for designing custom circuits are not usually used in commercial made circuits.

All the parts mentioned can be looked up on google.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back