Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please Help Tv ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

cole098

Hello, I really could use some help with my Tv.. I have a Toshiba 36 inch crt set.. Well here is the deal.. I called a Tv repair tech and had the guy come to my home for service... Turns out he tells me he needs to take the whole board back to his shop.. So for 9 months I had a tube set tv with no isides in it sitting in my living room.. every time I called I got a run around..
So I went to his shop and picked up the board...
Now here is my problem I want to put the Tv back together.. Well I want to know is there any procedure I should follow or tips to putting the board back in.. I can tell there is the board that had pins and a clamp that goes on the rear of the tube itself.. And I can see where the suction cup goes. But Im hestitant to do this without some tips.. The Tube has not been powered up for 9 months so it there any fear of me getting a high voltage shock from this??? What should I hook back up first the cup or the rear board to the tube???
I want to reintsall it so I can have another repair center come get the whole TV.. The store where I purchased this Tv will not send a tech out to pick it up, just two delivery guys.. Please Help... This tv was a 36 inch toshiba HDTV ready set that cost me like 1400 dollars a few years back.. everyone I talk to tells me replacement boards are not available..
Thanks Joe

You might not like my reply, but I believe it's the most appropriate and safe advice I can offer you.

Since you are unfamiliar with television internals, leave things alone so you don't reconnect the wrong wires and cause further problems. Wrap the circuit board in protective bubble wrap or similar and tape it inside the tv cabinet. Avoid getting near the anode on the back of the CRT which is the red spot on the CRT pictured below. Don't know where you live but here in the US, you should present your case to the Better Business Bureau or the local office of the Attorney General. They are good at investigating cases like this and a 9 month wait is rediculous. The man disassembled your set, made you wait patiently for a rediculous and unacceptable 9 months, then shows no indications on wanting to move on repairing it, only to have you pick up the board yourself and be stuck with a non-working, disassembled tv. You have legal rights to persue against that business. Don't take this inconvenience lying down from that slob serviceman.

**broken link removed**

If replacement parts are not available then it looks like you bought an orphan TV. Next time buy a name-brand TV with a good record. My Sony TV is perfect.

audioguru said:
If replacement parts are not available then it looks like you bought an orphan TV. Next time buy a name-brand TV with a good record. My Sony TV is perfect.

Toshiba is a big name brand with an excellent reputation, I imagine the fault was with the service engineer?.

SOunds to me like that repairman is a shoemaker, incapable of diagnosing what component(s) are at fault and wanted to replace the entire board instead. True the board may not be available, but individual parts should be. As Nigel said, Toshiba is a good company that stands behind their products. Locate a Toshiba factory service center that is willing to take your board and repair it. Then get that monkey-butt to pay for it thru the Better Business Bureau!

HiTech said:
True the board may not be available, but individual parts should be.

Boards generally aren't available for TV's, and never have been, you have to repair to component level. 'Occasionally' you can source a new board, but these often cost a VERY sizeable portion of the cost of the entire set (sometimes MORE than the complete set cost).

IMHO if you`re REAL careful you ought to be able to do this. Even if the tv hasnt been powered up for 9 mts you need to make SURE that the crt is discharged. First of all; old rule of thumb when working with high voltage- keep one hand in your pocket and dont touch anything, especially wires or anything else having a lot of dust on them. If you dont understand why, maybe you shouldnt do this after all. Tape a DRY dowel rod a foot or so long to the end of a foot or so long lamp wire. Strip the insulation from the end. Dont tape the bare wire to the dowell rod. Connect an aligator clip to the other end of the wire. Connect this SOLIDLY to the metal chassis of the tv. Wear rubber sole shoes. Holding the dowell rod by the end far from the wire, stick the bare end of the wire in the crt hole where the suction cup goes. Wiggle it around, take it out and do it a few more times. Do the same to the wire that goes into the crt ( has a suction cup on it.) You can connect the suction cup to the crt. Holding the pcb by the edges align the socket on the board with the pins n the back of the crt. It only goes on one way. Gently wiggle it on the crt.
OR,BETTER YET forget all that and lay the board inside the tv case, put the back on and call a real repairman AND Let him put it together. Dont touch any wires or metal , except the grounded case- most parts are static sensitive nowadays
Btw what are the symptoms.?

Jesus! - there's careful and there's paranoid!.

Two long screwdrivers, touch the end of one to the aquadag, and slide the other across it to touch the final anode - make sure you're wearing old underwear, because if it is well charged up it makes a good flash and a crack!.

Just slide the chassis in place, don't worry about the wires, and explain to the new people what happened! - I'd far sooner know that someone has been inside it than you try and hide the fact!. Tell the new people who it was as well, they may already know all about him!.

You might also try contacting Toshiba customer services, they may well be able to suggest an approved local service agent?.

Isn't this Toshiba TV in the US?
Wasn't Toshiba banned from selling anything in the US for a few years awhile ago because they sold US secrets to the Russians?
Did Toshiba ever recover?

I believe they sold the Russians secrets on how to make a CRT last only 5 years! Now if it was Sony or Mits, we'd have experienced a real technological setback!:rolleyes:

Nigel, both Mitsubishi & Sony sell whole pc boards at costly amounts. Given that the sum of those parts is greater than the whole....hence it's still better to diagnose the faulty part(s) and replace them. Sony XBR sets are alien technology and incorporate 5 times the number of components to get the job done that a set from Sharp gets by on far less! And those Sony sets seem to want OEM parts since subs will fail, resulting in recalls.

zkt_PiratesDen said:
IMHO if you`re REAL careful you ought to be able to do this. Even if the tv hasnt been powered up for 9 mts you need to make SURE that the crt is discharged. First of all; old rule of thumb when working with high voltage- keep one hand in your pocket and dont touch anything, especially wires or anything else having a lot of dust on them. If you dont understand why, maybe you shouldnt do this after all. Tape a DRY dowel rod a foot or so long to the end of a foot or so long lamp wire. Strip the insulation from the end. Dont tape the bare wire to the dowell rod. Connect an aligator clip to the other end of the wire. Connect this SOLIDLY to the metal chassis of the tv. Wear rubber sole shoes. Holding the dowell rod by the end far from the wire, stick the bare end of the wire in the crt hole where the suction cup goes. Wiggle it around, take it out and do it a few more times. Do the same to the wire that goes into the crt ( has a suction cup on it.) You can connect the suction cup to the crt. Holding the pcb by the edges align the socket on the board with the pins n the back of the crt. It only goes on one way. Gently wiggle it on the crt.
OR,BETTER YET forget all that and lay the board inside the tv case, put the back on and call a real repairman AND Let him put it together. Dont touch any wires or metal , except the grounded case- most parts are static sensitive nowadays
Btw what are the symptoms.?

Well the symptoms are that the picture would blink on and then back on again in a flash...

Also I want to thank all of you for your replys.. I called one Tv place today and they wont even touch it because someone else fooled with it.. So I guess I need to try and get it back together again..

Nigel Goodwin said:
Jesus! - there's careful and there's paranoid!.

Two long screwdrivers, touch the end of one to the aquadag, and slide the other across it to touch the final anode - make sure you're wearing old underwear, because if it is well charged up it makes a good flash and a crack!.

Just slide the chassis in place, don't worry about the wires, and explain to the new people what happened! - I'd far sooner know that someone has been inside it than you try and hide the fact!. Tell the new people who it was as well, they may already know all about him!.

You might also try contacting Toshiba customer services, they may well be able to suggest an approved local service agent?.

Two long screwdrivers, touch the end of one to the aquadag, and slide the other across it to touch the final anode..

what is a aquadag and the final anode.. any pics???
I seem to recall 9 moths ago the tv guy saying something about discharging the crt .. But Im not sure..

I won't own Toshiba products because of their indiscretion mentioned in this thread! LOL

My "perfect" Sony TV stopped working last night. It turned itself off with a small click from the speakers and then the Power button on the front and the remote can't turn it on. I haven't looked inside a TV for many years but I think I can fix it.

Nigel, are service manuals available for my 9 years old Sony 32" TV? I need a schematic, parts layout and parts list.

audioguru said:
My "perfect" Sony TV stopped working last night. It turned itself off with a small click from the speakers and then the Power button on the front and the remote can't turn it on. I haven't looked inside a TV for many years but I think I can fix it.

Nigel, are service manuals available for my 9 years old Sony 32" TV? I need a schematic, parts layout and parts list.

What model is it? - Sony manuals are supplied as part of 'Sony Assist' on DVD, but they are protected PDF's.

Is the standby light flashing at all?, if so the number of flashes is an error code (although it's often pretty vague!).

audioguru said:

LMAO! You jinxed yourself!!! https://www.radiolocman.com/ is a site that you can enter your brand & model # and with some luck you might have a page pop up with the schematic. One thing about Sony sets is that with some diligent browsing you often can find service tips and schematics on the net. Anatek Corp also has a forum that has tons of service tips for specific models. Just enter your model and question then wait for replies.
https://www.anatekcorp.com/techforum.htm

BTW, as a former Sony Tech, many of those sets had Pwr Supp. issues from bad regulator STRxxxx chips to bad solder joints on the pcb. Check all solder pads on the pcb for good connection, esp any areas of the entire board that have connectors, or heat related components. I serviced alot of Sony sets that only required touching up poor solder joints to get them working again. If you do need parts, DO NOT substitute with generic replacements in the key areas of Pwr. Supply, and Horiz/Vert output sections. Sony's are finicky and long for the OEM parts, not NTE or ECG stuff. It will come back to haunt you too soon if you choose otherwise.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
When my son comes over tonight to help me move the TV I will see its model number.

Hey Uncle $crooge,

If you will post any error codes that the set may be flashing I'll help you interpret them. Also when you get the model # and chassis # posted I'll see if I have a schematic that may be of use to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back