Please help me, What do ohms do to volts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you expect a kid to understand thevenin's theorem and Kirchoff's law ???

Kirchoff's Law, certainly.

If he can't, we might as well quit commenting on this thread because that is exactly what we are trying to explain. What we call it is irrelevant. It might as well be called Bugs Bunny's Law.

And I would certainly expect him to understand Kirchoff's Law and how it applies to a very simple, two or three resistor series circuit before I would a circuit combining components that behave in mathematically different ways.

So my question to you is, do you really expect a child to understand the behavior of PN a junction in a light emitting diode and how it behaves in a series circuit BEFORE he understands how two resistors behave in a series circuit?

To further emphasize my point, I would say that is actually NOT an easy example. You should start by understanding circuits with only resisters first. The LED is basically a diode:

Diode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And it can get a bit confusing with a diode. I wouldn't explain ohm's law to a starter with a diode involved !

Last edited:
Wow, this thread deteriorated rapidly. Why can't we keep to simple ohms law and get him understanding that before going on to more complex stuff.

Looks to me like everyone wants to boast how much they know rather than help the original poster.

Just stick to ohms law and let the guy learn.

Mike.

I totally agree, keep it simple.
Ohm's Law is simple.
Actually, Kirchoff's law is even more simple, i.e. it is simple addition, kindergarten stuff (1+1=2)

Stick to those two principals first. Glad we agree on something.

Edit: I apologize, I do not mean to come across as combative. I just VERY STRONGLY feel that learning electronics is a building block process and should be approached as such to avoid confusion....especially with a child.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…