Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help me out. New user

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarbuilder

Hi everyone
I'm a new user here and I'm new at electronics in general. I was wondering if you could help me out with a project I'm hoping to undertake. I have a lot of questions. I want to build a portable device that plays gameboy ROM files. For those of you that don't know, these are the full game files that can be downloaded from the internet and played using a gameboy emulator, such as Visual Boy Advance. So what I want to do is build a device like the Dingoo a320, which is a programmable handheld device. Research it and you'll see what I'm after. It has internal memory that stores the game ROMs and save files, a USB connection, an LCD backlit screen and quite a bit more. So I want to adapt that idea to make a gameboy style handheld like this:
Game Grrl -- Portable Nintendo Game System
with an LCD, an A and B button, directional pad and start and select buttons that has an on/off switch, a headphone jack and volume control, USB connection and internal memory for storage.
I'm planning to use this block diagram:
Portable Gaming Device, Fairchild Semiconductor - Global Leader in Power Optimization
This enclosure (with built in AA battery compartment):
**broken link removed**
The buttons will come from a Nintendo NES controller
The headphone jack and wheel potentiometer for the sound and the SPST switch for On/Off will come from Radio Shack
I need sources for pretty much everything else. Any sources you can provide would be great. I'm going to track down a good LCD screen.
Would I be able to use one taken from this?:
https://www.ladyada.net/images/gamegrrl/hipgear_l.jpg
The game grrl unit uses that, so it might work but I don't know
I'll be using white LEDs for the backlight as they are energy effecient
But, I have questions
1. The block diagram doesn't show where I can connect the battery compartment on the box or where I can connect an On/Off switch, so where do I do that?
2. Do I need to design a board for this to work? (Like I said, I'm new at this) If so, can I use a printed circuit board from Radio Shack?
3. Also on the block diagram, how should I wire up the volume control?
I'll design my own software for this or just find some that works.

The block diagram shows an extremely simplistic view. Its just that, a block diagram, it does not show the actual circuit diagram.

If you are new to electronics, this is over your head, and if your not, then you should realize its over your head based on questions you asked. If you want to get into game development, there are ways to go about it but you have to start at square one, especially with your desire to build the hardware too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back