Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PLEASE HELP ME?? How do I bulid this circuit (debounce)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

theitalianone234

So i am a college student, i am taking a digital logic controllers class, and for our final project that is due next week the professor assigned us to design and construct a baseball scoreboard using a debounce circuit. he just wants us to make the circuit for balls and strikes using a total of 5 LEDs two for strikes and three for balls. and they have to coinside with eachother for example if u have one strike and three balls, then you get a fourth ball all of the lights should reset. So i am at a loss. He didnt really give us to much to work with. He gave us two DM74175N 16 PIN chips and said it may come in handy and told us to check through some of the chips we already have. So if anybody could help me to try and come up with a schematic for this i have no idea how to!! and if i dont get this done i fail the class!! so please help me out!!

Google schmitt trigger.

In the old days, you would hit the library and do a little research. what is the modern equivalent of the library? hint: it stats with a G and ends with oogle.

I sure hate it when people are too lazy to type about 20 characters and harness the power of the internet.

and by the way, I wouldn't use a schmitt trigger to debounce. however, a ff might come in handy. heh heh

philba said:
I wouldn't use a schmitt trigger to debounce. however, a ff might come in handy. heh heh
I disagree with this. You can use a FF but it requires a SPDT switch which may not be convenient. You can do it with a SPST switch floowed by a RC low pass and a Schmitt Trigger.

I have posted such a debounce circuit in this forum (or electronics chat) a year or 2 ago. So if you search using "debounce" and "ljcox" you should find it.

If not, I'll post it again.

the instructor gave him a d ff. with a wink.

and yes, a low pass with a very low 3db cut off is always a good idea.

Theitalianone243, I also am a college student and posted a thread here..how to design a power supply..and I got the same response that you did...A lot of smart remarks...I know that these guys are really smart and really know their stuff...but at one time they were in our shoes.....Just hang in there...

LadyBugg....

You are GUARANTEED to get little to no help, and almost always a bunch of sarcastic comments, if the answer to your problem can be found within 20 seconds at google.

For instance, I searched google for "debounce" and the FIFTH search result was titled "How to debounce a switch", and contained a circuit with a resistor, capacitor, and a schmitt trigger inverter, probably about as simple a circuit as you could need.

It even goes beyond laziness, into being plain inconsiderate. It literally would have taken LESS time to simply search google and find the answer within seconds, than it took the original poster to type out his long description of his question. Plus, since their first 3 posts are all in this thread, I wouldn't be surprised if they found this forum by searching google, rather than simply searching for a direct answer to their question.

You say "but at one time they were in our shoes"... but I don't think most of the knowledgeable people on this forum got the way they are by being completely unwilling to do any work for themselves.

I don't think the original poster would have received such sarcastic responses had they acted in a responsible manner, even despite the fact that they had a question that could have been answered via google, but after these three posts:
theitalianone234: what is a schmitt trigger?
Hero999: Google schmitt trigger.
theitalianone234: well that doesnt help me to much!!
their rude response to a reply by an experienced member that told them everything they needed to know to answer their own question, makes it clear to me that they don't want to have to do anything for themselves, and really don't deserve to be offered further assistance, or to be spared the sarcasm, in my opinion.

Beside that, the following posts STILL went on to answer the question, even with the jokes thrown in. Clearly the knowledgeable folks on this forum are not "out to get the newbies" and completely unwilling to help, but it's just plain ridiculous to expect to be spoon-fed information when you are being lazy and rude. People here are willing to help out, but we don't OWE you anything. Stick around the forums for a while, and see how many "URGENT - give me a complete circuit diagram for my important school project so I don't fail, I can't do any of it myself" type threads you can view before you stop wanting to help those who refuse to help themselves, and will most likely never visit the forums again after receiving any help, rather than staying around and contributing.

There was no internet when I was in school. Just my text book and millions more in the library. Nobody helped me. Pretty soon I was correcting mistakes made by my teachers.

The underlying purpose of the assignment was to have students demonstrate they understood and could apply theory to a practical situtation.

To have others provide a ready-made solution and offer this as one's own design is akin to plagiarism.

It's commendable that senior forum members have not provided the spoon feeding.:)

evandude said:
It literally would have taken LESS time to simply search google and find the answer within seconds, than it took the original poster to type out his long description of his question.
In addition to the time required to register to become a member of the forum ...
JB

Hi, I have attached a circuit that may give you a start, using the 74175's.
Probably not the best way of doing it but you should be able to alter it to your preference.
Cheers
Les G4CNH

P.S. I should have refreshed as I did not see all the later comments, Oh! well, I still feel it a duty somehow to try and point peeps in some kind of direction and it may give encouragement for further reading. I remember having similar problems when I was trying to build my first Z80 micro and a little help from mates gave me much encouragement to self learning.

Attachments

• baseball count.JPG
    baseball count.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
well thank you for your post and thanks for the schematic!! i apericate it a lot!! and see the people that posted all those things that wernt to nice dont know the whole story!! if they would have known that i dont have the prerequest for the class becuase the advisor messed up and i couldnt get my $$ back so i stayed in the class and i am trying my hardest to get through it!! then they wouldnt be talking all that ****!! but o well... thanks a bunch!!:)

You know you can still drop classes, but you lose your money, right? That way at least you don't end up with an F on your transcript.

it was also my understanding that if you take a course without the prereq or special department approval they don't recognize you passing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back