Please help me fix strobe light alarm circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

spitso

Hi all

I have a party this saturday and want to add a little bit of lighting effects. I decided to use one of those blue lights off the front of security alarm boxes. It worked fine to begin with (flashing the strobe maybe once every 3 seconds) running on 12v. But i stupidly turn voltage up to 30v which made it flash a little bit more rapidly but of course i heard a loud pop, and didnt work.

I opened it up and saw that a 100µf 12v capacitor had blown, i replaced this but still didnt work. Check all diodes for continuity all was fine a apart from one diode (which had a green band instead of a silver band?)which didnt conduct anymore so i also replaced that (dont know if it was right or not), but still not working. They only thing i can think of that is broken is the transitor but im having trouble working out what i could replace it with, all it says is d789, maybe you can tell what i can replace it with via circuit diagram.

Please help me fix my circuit. below are photos of the device as well as a circuit diagram i ROUGHLY put together.

thank-you

Attachments

• P10-06-09_21.05[01].JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 952
  • P10-06-09_21.05.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 425
  • P10-06-09_20.50.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 474
  • Secuirty light.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 738
Last edited:
A BD139 would do you or any NPN power transistor with a Vce of around 80-100v and a reasonble hfe...and can dissipate a couple of watts

Last edited:
no luck. begining to think that maybe it is the transistor thats bad. Ill take it to my tafe teacher tomorrow se what he think about it.

teacher was no help.

I am now thinking that another fault is the transformer. Ive tested it with multimeter and their are no broken circuits, but when i apply 4.5vAc @ 0.5A on primary i only get like 0.5V....correct me if im wrong but isnt this transformer meant to step-up the voltage to about +300V AC? Below are pictures of the transformer, dont know what i can replace it with, but i do have a mini audio transformer **broken link removed**

any ideas for next step?

Attachments

• P11-06-09_23.16[01].JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,000
  • P11-06-09_23.16.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 688
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…