Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help in making a professional led sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

holax12

Hello everybody

please help me in making a professional led sign, i already made two the 1st one is an open sign while the second one is a welcome sign but i want them to look professional cos i intend selling them.
I made the board with a cardboard wood sheet and i painted the board with black gloss paint. Is this the right way? please help.

Pictures go a long way................

Ron

Professionals in my country do not use cardboard. Maybe they do in your country.

Professionals in my country do not use cardboard. Maybe they do in your country.

Yes, AudioGuru as we all know in Canada the streets are lined with gold and LED signs have likely a background of Mother of Pearl. Considering Canada is the center of the universe we have come to expect that along with your arrogance. Now as an on topic suggestion do you have anything constructive to add or is this just another Canada Promo?

Ron

There is a new veterinarian office near my home. It has professional LED signs cast in solid gold. The chains holding them up are pure silver that need to be polished each day. They also have many emeralds, pearls and other expensive gem stones.

Other stores in this mall have professional LED signs with a plastic case.
All my amateur LED signs also have a plastic case.

Cardboard?? Are you kidding?

Just as I suspected, low end gold rather than pure platinum. Obviously a low class establishment. Good vets use platinum. Down here our vet has a palace for an office and lord knows we paid for it always having a few dogs. :)

Depending on the grade and thickness if cardboard is painted and lacquered well it could work. I figure if the OP can at least post a few images we can get an idea of where they want to go with this. Till then I haven't a clue how they may have used the cardboard. Therefore I'll reserve comment on the use of cardboard. I am assuming that painted cardboard served only as a backdrop for a board with soldered LEDs, I hope the hell correctly assuming.

Ron

I have seen many professional LED signs but I have never seen one with LEDs mounted on a wood sheet.

Maybe what @holax12 means is that he has drilled out holes in the wood (hardboard?) and mounted the LEDs in the holes (in the shape of "OPEN" or "WELCOME").

@holax12: If it is hardboard that you are using, I don't see why that couldn't look good. Usually such signs are done in acrylic, but if you put a good paint job on the board after drilling (ie - use primer, then apply more than one coat, sanding between coats, then maybe a clear sealer and waxing/buffing - oh, and the paints should be acrylic) it should look pretty nice.

Another option (after drilling) would be to spray on a couple of coats of acrylic paint, then mount and check the operation of the LEDs. Once complete, seal the LEDs in place with silicone or hot glue on the -backside- of the board. Build a frame for the board to fit snugly in (and seal the back edges), then pour acrylic casting resin (after mixing the hardener in) over the front surface and LEDs, to a thickness that just covers the LEDs and let it cure.

Just dip the board in white paint and no-one will know. The important part is the clear sheet over the LEDs to allow the sign to be placed outside. Use high brightness LEDs and the sign can be seen during the day.

These signs are already available from China for less than 10 cents per LED. They flash and move and have different colours. It will be very difficult to compete with the readily-available range.

Once upon a time they made black circuit boards (FR4 material). I've seen red, green, tan, and black. Though I have only ever ordered green or tan being the cheapest. IIRC, the PWB manufacturers offer a black soldermask option. If the LEDs are through hole soldered, you have have the top side trace-free and covered in black soldermask or use black FR4 then no extra steps would be required, other than to provide a mounting case and clear or light smoke/gray plastic cover.

I have seen many painted PC boards. For smaller LED displays. It may be cost prohibited for signs.

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses.

@ crosh, you got what am saying. I first painted the hardboard (wood) then drill the holes and mount the leds in shape of OPEN or WELCOME. I have a hard time soldering the leds at the back of the board cos there is no copper tracks at the back. is this how hard it is to make this signs?

honestly, if you are looking at making a LOT of these sort of signs, you would be better off designing the boards in a CAD program like EAGLE (or anything similar, use what you know(or learn one)), Then getting the boards made at a fabrication house (like goldenphoenix, etc.), soldering the boards together yourself, then just getting them put into a small enclosure (w00d/mdf/something solid), using a piece of plexiglass as the front of the box so that you can see the LEDs.

This would look a lot more neat, and professional.

-kizzap

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back