Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please help in making a frequency counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

femex12

Hello
Please i want to make a frequency counter that is capable of counting up to 1 gigahertz. I already have knowledge of pic16f84a and how to program it.

Here is my first attempt: 4017 is a decade counter that counts from 0-9, 4026 also a decade counter that decodes and display its output in a seven segment display. So i thought cascading 9 of it will count to gigahertz and then retrieve data via microcontroller not untill i found out that the maximum frequency 4000 cmos ic can handle is 100 mhz. So i discarded this approach.

Second attempt : Having realise the constraint , i finally figured out the 1ghz is a high frequency and needs to be divided before counting. What i need now is a low cost prescaler that can divide 1/256. I would like you to recommend a suitable ic for me and assist me in my project. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back