Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Please cut the duplicate threads!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero999

Banned
Most of you have probably seen my latest canned response:

Please don't make duplicate posts, they're very annoying and don't help you or us to help you. Creating duplicate threads does not increase your chance of a useful response, it only reduces it as people get confused and can't always see what others have suggest in the other thread.

Are duplicate threads against the rules?

If you ask me the should be and also be a banable offence. After member creates their first duplicate thread they should be warned, then if they do it again they should be banished for all eternity!

Moderator, is it possible to merge duplicate threads? I know you do an excellent job of removing them if they haven't had any replies. I suppose if merging threads is a pain you could close the shortest thread and post a link to it in the other thread. Anyway my gripe isn't with you but with the morons who are responsible for duplicate threads.

Hero999 said:
Most of you have probably seen my latest canned response:

Please don't make duplicate posts, they're very annoying and don't help you or us to help you. Creating duplicate threads does not increase your chance of a useful response, it only reduces it as people get confused and can't always see what others have suggest in the other thread.

Are duplicate threads against the rules?

Yes, and posters are PM'd if they transgress.

If you ask me the should be and also be a banable offence. After member creates their first duplicate thread they should be warned, then if they do it again they should be banished for all eternity!

Moderator, is it possible to merge duplicate threads? I know you do an excellent job of removing them if they haven't had any replies. I suppose if merging threads is a pain you could close the shortest thread and post a link to it in the other thread. Anyway my gripe isn't with you but with the morons who are responsible for duplicate threads.

I usually either delete them, or merge them - depending what is in them.

Isn't there a >>TIME<<(edit) limit after making a new thread? That would prevent double posts...it wouldn't prevent people from posting several posts in different forums though. You'd think there would be software to prevent that.

Last edited:
dknguyen said:
Isn't there a limit after making a new thread? That would prevent double posts...it wouldn't prevent people from posting several posts in different forums though. You'd think there would be software to prevent that.

That would be a great idea. I think most of us have done a double post once or twice with out even trying.

I have once made a reply (in another forum) and at that time the internet connection was very bad/slow. for some reason, my reply managed to triplicate itself. It was not because of my deliberate actions but, it happened. :confused:

I don't know if these people do it deliberately or not, but if that do, then yes I agree with you.

There's a difference between making duplicate posts and duplicate threads, the former can be accidental but the latter isn't especially if the threads are in different sections of the form.

Is that something recent or has it been around for a while? I've seen three double 'new threads' in the forums in the last month.

I've seen that number before in a day. I suppose you must be lucky as Nigel had got round to deleting or merging them before you saw them.

I normally see them when I click the 'New Threads' button.

Some times a new thread is better
posts likeSensitive FM Transmitter have become reasonably bulky.

I wouldn't have a problem with someone starting a new FM transmitter thread even though I am pretty bored of them to be honest.

What I am complaining about is when people make several threads asking exactly the same question. It doesn't increase the chance of them receiving a helpful response, all it does is confuse people as it is difficult to keep track of who has posted what where.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back