Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PLCC vs DIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorGuy

What are the advantages of using PLCC over DIP PICS? I know that the circuit on the PCB is a little harder with the PLCC.

PLCC is a bit more compact. You can also surface mount the PLCC for production stuff.

I know that circuit on the PCB is a little harder with the PLCC.

If you're making your own boards you won't have to drill any holes for the surface mount stuff. With a little practice surface mount is almost as easy as through hole to solder - and sometimes its easier.

PLCC is lightyears more difficult than DIP until you get the right equipment. Luckily it's all very cheap and not very specialized either. Kenneth Maxon at Seattle Robotics did on this method, and it seems to be getting very popular.

I've heard though, that DIPs have better temperature durability than you might expect. Plus you get to work with IC sockets if there's any chance you need to replace or reprogram anything. Cadsoft's EAGLE program has some good board footprints for DIP, SOIC, and PLCC devices.

PLCC is lightyears more difficult than DIP until you get the right equipment.

I just use a temperature controlled soldreing iron and some thin solder.

Plus you get to work with IC sockets in chance you need to replace or reprogram anything.

You can buy through hole and surface mount sockets for PLCC. They are used quite often. It's also easier to damage the pins on a DIP package when socketing the part than with a PLCC.

The only real disadvantage to PLCC is that the sockets won't work on a breadboard. It's also hard to find good footprints for PLCC sockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back