Playing with a 1.8" 128X60 RGB TFT_LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrG

For no particular reason, I purchased a small color display (this one **broken link removed**) for US$6.54. It came relatively quickly - ~two weeks.

I hooked it up to an Arduino ProMini 3V3 clone. The usual SPI connections (usual in the Arduino world). Here is a quick video of an example to get you to read further:

I first tried the ucglib, but that was problematic:

You can see what appears to be an obvious offset problem. In fact, I did some digging and found that to be the case (e.g., here and here). I tried this fork that was designed to address the problem, but it did not work for me. Eventually, I found this library which works quite well. I think some modification to ucglib can be made to correct the offset, but since I don't even know what I am going to use it for, I am not getting into that now.

Here are a couple pics from library examples:

All-in-all, this little screen appears to be pretty impressive (and very easy to use in the Arduino world)...all for less than $7.

All-in-all, this little screen appears to be pretty impressive (and very easy to use in the Arduino world)...all for less than $7.

Yes, I've used a number of them (along with various others), with PIC's as well as Arduino, but I've never likely ugclib, I've stuck to Adafruit (and a PIC port of it).

You find the offset problems on various displays, and it usually takes a fair bit of messing about to cure it - it's never as simple as finding one suggested cure, and it working first time.

I've used the same screen with a driver based on the one from this site - see half way down the page:

That has three different possible initialisation routines included and you can pick the one that works best with the specific version of that module you are using.

Thanks, I have bookmarked that page and the driver (the one linked from the page and based on Adafruit's driver). A bunch of these 1.8 LCDs have been around. The one I got (the Minion display for lack of a better term) looks different than the one in the linked page. Is yours identical to the Minion? No SD card? Same markings? Even a green tap is no longer definitive (see below)/

Reading a bit, look at the approaches in the two code fragments:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZbYxD9z3GDZ6bDljXUSFTnQxRait5AQZ/view
// some flags for initR()
#define INITR_GREENTAB 0x00

#define INITR_GREENTAB 0x0
#define INITR_GREENTAB2 0x3 // Use if you get random pixels on two edges of green tab display

I'm not suggesting that the simple #define is the key, but rather suggesting that I gives me the sense that these displays have multiplied, if not have evolved. I think the problem is probably a combination of the ST7735S being able to accommodate a larger resolution than 128X160 and some discrepency/ambiguity in querying the hardware.

Take a look at this thread by Bodmer, who wrote the Adafruit adaption I linked to. I thought it spelled things out well.

Nevertheless, if the PIC code works with the display, that is a big plus for me. Even if not, I appreciate your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…