Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Plasma tweeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froskoy

Hi,

I want to try some high voltage stuff and it was suggested to me that I should start with a plasma tweeter.

I've watched some on YouTube and done a bit of research but was wondering if someone could point me in a good starting direction. I was thinking of trying to control it somehow with PIC.

Does this circuit look like a good place to start? https://www.hvlabs.com/plasmasonic.html

I've done quite a bit with low voltage etc.

Thanks very much,

Froskoy.

Last edited:
I think the sound from a plazma tweeter is poor because of the transformer. It reduces low frequencies and high frequencies and might saturate a little producing distortion. The same or worse as a cheap vacuum tube amplifier.

I think the sound from a plazma tweeter is poor because of the transformer. It reduces low frequencies and high frequencies and might saturate a little producing distortion. The same or worse as a very expensive vacuum tube amplifier.

Corrected.

Last edited:
In the "good old days" a good vacuum tube amplifier used a high quality Williamson output transformer that had very low distortion and a very wide bandwidth.
The cheap ones had no deep bass and no sizzling highs but had plenty of distortion.

As you and I both know a cheaper good quality solid state amplifier will have lower distortion.

I got my start in high voltage with a plasma speaker too. I would recommend, however, that you don't use that schematic. It's more complicated than it needs to be. There's a decent instructable on building a plasma speaker on instructables.com. With either schematic, you'll want to makes sure that the power MOSFET is driven properly, or it will overheat. Try a MOSFET driver like the TC4229 or a MOSFET rated for higher current, or both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back