Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Plasma Sphere

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.J.

Hi everyone,

I just got a plasma sphere a few days

Here are some cool things that I did. :p

Held a flouresent lamp close to the sphere and it lit up.

Wound myself a coil and taped it to the sphere. When I touch one lead with my finger, a nice blue arc jumps to my finger and burns a little hole into my skin. I sometimes get some smoke :lol:

I have already known about these cool things you can do with a plasma globe but up until now, never got to try them.

I do have a question :roll: When I read the AC voltage being produced from the coil, my meter doesn't give a good reading. Jumps around from 20 to 100 volts. Is this becuase the arcs are going in all different directions and are not constantly fived onto the coil :?:

D.J.

I was thinking of getting one too, but I couldn't take that risk of Frying my PICs in my room... You will never know...

I want to make sure NOTHING will happen to my PICs :oops: , so I would just buy Lava Lamp instead :lol: . I know Plasma Globe is cool though

Take the globe to an room whith no CMOS stuff (an garden shed wod work)

You can mane your own plasma globe whith an argon filed light bulb and an TV flyback transformer.

For the guys at home you can try rubing somting that gets staticly charged and then toching it whith an flourescent lamp.If its dark enugh you will see it flah. (flurescent lamps will light up anyware that is under high voltage)

Hey D.J., since no one with more experience answered your question, Ill give it a shot.

i think that the sparks are corona, and in the vacuum, the sparks can go farther, since the transformer in there I think is only like 15kv or something.

Thats just a theory though, don't quote me

Hi Zachtheterrible,

"i think that the sparks are corona, and in the vacuum, the sparks can go farther, since the transformer in there I think is only like 15kv or something."

Woops, I quoted you :lol: Ya, those sparks come from the corna, and I think they use argon or heluim inside the sphere to give it the long, colored spark.

So you think it's the spark that doing it? The spark is jumping to the glass then repelling the electrons through the coil on the other side. Like a capacitor's plates.

Thanks,

D.J.

Not really sure what you mean by that. Just go google diving and find the real answer :lol:
you can quote me on that :wink:

"Not really sure what you mean by that. Just go google diving and find the real answer :lol:
you can quote me on that :wink: "

Ok I quoted you and thanks I google the answer.

I mean that when the spark his the inside of the glass(dielectric) it repels the electrons on the other side in the coil.

I wasn't sure if that was what did it, or was it the RF that was exciting the electrons like with the flouresent lamp.

D.J.

The capacitor may be the wire and the ionized gas (Is also a good conductor) seperated by glass.And becose your dealing whith 10s of kV It dosent need to have an big capacitence to shock you.

I once tryed that static from an TV screen whith aluminium foil.And becose the screen was charged allredy (you cod feal it from 10cm) It picked up all of it and wen i toched the foil i got a painful shock.I tryed agen after 20 seconds but then it was so litle i cod barly feal it.

On yahoo.com they have animations on certan special days. And they have the american flag and fireworks around the yahoo title.Meaby thats for 4th of July independence day or somting in america.

i have a i idea why, i could ether create magnetic fields or make a very strong radio frequence

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back