Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Plasma Speaker, Halloween Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

killivolt

Plasma Speaker.jpg

I found this and I'm getting the parts together. I already had a Flyback.

However, I want to incorporate another circuit I found as well.

lightningfinal3b.gif

In the end I will have sound produced by the plasma speaker, I'll pick that audio up with a Mic raise it 50db and send it to amplifier and pick it up at the speaker to run the lights.

Later I want to build a Tesla singing coil with the same idea, and send video images of just the arc from the coil with a short throw projector.

This is a better schematic...
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
An amplified mic in the same room as its speaker will howl or squeal very loudly with feedback.

An amplified mic in the same room as its speaker will howl or squeal very loudly with feedback.

The speakers will be outside, but I don't know what the HV will do to the Mic?

Thank you.

kv

Last edited:
I do not think an incandescent light bulb will light properly by the high audio frequencies from a plasma tweeter.
It would light better by the boom-boom sounds from a woofer.

Your right, I won't be able to get the low rumbles of thunder. I'm just going to have to go with a reproduction sound of lightening and thunder and add a subwoofer to the speaker.

I'll still build the Plasma Speaker. If I ever build the Tesla Coil, I can show the image of the flashes off the coil as my lightening.

Thanks, guru.

kv

Last edited:
HV is dangerous.
Your plasma arc might set the kids costumes or their hair on fire.:(

HV is dangerous.
Your plasma arc might set the kids costumes or their hair on fire.:(

I'm going to just build it for the experience. No one will be near it.

I'm removing it from the above project, as you said, I can't get the boom boom without a sub-woofer. The Plasma Speaker just will not do.

As for my Tesla Coil, in the future, I will use a Camera to Pic up the Flash inside my Garage away from everyone, behind a locked door and send that image to a projector. All the HV will be in my Garage, only the projector and Speakers will be outside on my porch.

Thanks again, guru.

Last edited:
Hi KV,

I made a Plasma Speaker 3 years ago.
I used a flyback with a built-in tripler (almost all of the modern flybacks have one)and a very simple PWM circuit based on TL494.
I never used a mike for it, Just a UM66 melody player circuit for start and later a MP3 playe. It worked just fine in both situations, Specially for in higher frequencies of audio. You must play and adjust the higher frequency (the carrier) to get the best result with arc and of course with audio...

good luck with your project, But please, please and please be careful with high voltage.

P.S Please NEVER use the high voltage circuit near your PC or any electronics devices...

Thank you, wizard.

My first intention was to get the audio from the Plasma speaker via the Microphone into a mixer and output to a amplifier and off to the Speakers. The lower circuit runs off the speaker level, in turn drives the light.

No, I won't get anyone near it. I will be very careful. It's all just to build a fun project.

kv

I built it, but I'm not getting the GDT to work. Maybe the FETs don't have enough voltage or current ?

I'll post some images of my Oscope. I'm watching it go up and down, but I just think I'm seeing the music playing, it's like 1.25v up and down as little as 500mv. Once in a while it will blip 10v or 11v then right back down.

Edit: Oh, and I'm just running it on 12v, I think I'll kick it up and see what happens.

Attachments

• can L.JPG
    can L.JPG
    689.3 KB · Views: 799
  • can R.JPG
    can R.JPG
    599.9 KB · Views: 879
  • can.JPG
    can.JPG
    623.6 KB · Views: 834
Last edited:
Ok, I found out I have the pinouts wrong, I'm going to have to go back over the board again.

Update, I'm now going to try a GDT center Tapped, I have moved things around on the board, I think I was dealing with more problems than parasitics, I have the GDT positioned to take advantage of the outputs A/B or Q1 and Q2, however you want to say it. This did not work, the SG3525 is current sensing.

In addition I have moved the control chip closer to the Power MOS's, I read somewhere it's better to have them as close as possible to the control chip, probably doesn't matter when using GDT.

Plus I'm using a breadboard with pads, instead of strip board. If this layout works I will create a board with this design.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 701
Last edited:
Well this Plasma Speaker Schematic is turning out to be a bust. I don't think the Author knows it crap and the Instructables Website doesn't know it's crap.

It maybe true, that's if people are willing to help me simulate it.

If you want to find a IC that can make high voltage from the power line.

Attachments

• FAN7711.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 712
Pretty straight forward. But, that would make it hard for me to create a working Plasma Speaker, in fact I would have the same trouble with Radalco's. ZVS Driver circuit.

It's still cool.

Thanks, Ron.

kv

i made a zvs driver, all that talk about noise causing false triggers paranoid me , what did have me hung for a bit was that my mosfets need to be on isolated heat sinks, otherwise you get a bad sound "knocking", in the end 12 v 0.75- 1.5 amp was enough for my flyback , i never tried the audio portion of circuit. but zvs was way better thatn the 2n3055 driver.

Attachments

• IMG_20131013_202804.jpg
    IMG_20131013_202804.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 742
i made a zvs driver, all that talk about noise causing false triggers paranoid me , what did have me hung for a bit was that my mosfets need to be on isolated heat sinks, otherwise you get a bad sound "knocking", in the end 12 v 0.75- 1.5 amp was enough for my flyback , i never tried the audio portion of circuit. but zvs was way better thatn the 2n3055 driver.

I created a simulation in LT Spice of the above circuit it seems to be working, I will chop the heat sink and split them apart, thanks for the tip.

kv

I created a simulation in LT Spice of the above circuit it seems to be working, I will chop the heat sink and split them apart, thanks for the tip.

kv
hey killivolt how is going with your project at the moment ???
im starting working on the same schematichs and im wondering if you had success with this project .
thanks .

I'm waiting to purchase a Power Supply on Friday. I will hook it up and let you know any Prelims on the Driver Circuit. Once I have been able to establish a good Driver; I'll hook-up the Mosfets and attach the Flyback. Maybe Monday I'll get back to you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back