Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Placing an SMD Jumper in Eagle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

What method do you use to jump one track over another on the same pcb layer when using smd components (no drilling allowed)? I am planning to buy some size 1206 smd resistors with a value of 0 ohms to use as jumpers.

Problem is, when routing the tracks I can't just place the jumpers on the pcb as and when I need them - Eagle tells me I have to do it in the schematic which is a nuisance, where would I put them in the schematic anyway, exactly where they would be on the pcb track?

I guess the solution is pretty obvious but I'm a bit of a doofus and can't figure it out. Thanks in advance for any help.

jumper.png

I'm still quite green with Eagle, but:

I think you need to have the jumpers defined in the schematic, in order for the board view to determine where the resulting tracks join and the footprint (device selected in the schematic view) allows sufficient room to span an area set out in the DRC.

If you switch back to the schematic view, delete a wire link and place a jumper, then reconnect the wires to each end of the jumper & then switch back to the board, I think you would then have the jumper available to move anywhere along the wire (track) as you wish.

You place it on the net in the schematic that corresponds to the trace you need the jumper on.

I have a special footprint that I use to allow a trace to go through an 0805 size component like the led you have a little higher. I stole the footprint from a public domain board/schematic. I just ripped it into this library, which I'm hoping works. You can give it a try. It's not the slickest library part, but I've used it a few times and it works well. It's just two round pads that are distanced far enough apart to run a 12 or 16 mil trace through, but still close enough to easily place an 0805 size package down on.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back