Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pins of microcontroller malfunction

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enabled around 4 pwm channels in pic controller and found that 3 are working but 1 was not working. I replaced the controller with another spare controller and found all 4 channels working. So my general question is it possible that only 1 pin will malfunction? How to identify such situations?

So my general question is it possible that only 1 pin will malfunction?
Sure; something (electrostatic damage, a short circuit, a load which draw more current than the pin is rated for, etc.) may have blown the pin's output driver. This happens from time to time.

How to identify such situations?
Exactly the way you did: try a spare part and see if that corrects the problem. Also, examine your circuit to see if there's anything in it that could exceed the pin's maximum load current specification.

To be honest, it's VERY difficult to kill a PIC pin - it takes a good amount of abuse to do so.

But as already stated, try a different PIC and ensure that works - which you've already done.

I agree with Nigel that PICs are very robust. I have even plugged one into the progammer the wrong way round and it survived.

Les.

Ok. So i need to identify the exact reason, else if i put new spare micro that pin may also damage at some point later.

I agree with Nigel that PICs are very robust. I have even plugged one into the progammer the wrong way round and it survived.

I've mentioned previously on these forums, that I once (a long time ago) did just the same, and actually have my fingerprint melted in the top of the PIC - which is still fully functional :D

Does the manufacturing of the pic controllers vary from one pic controller to other or all will be of same quality?

While you and all posting in this thread seem happy with the swapping I would suggest you to revise the settings of the pin in question.

What micro? What pin? Could you show the configuration code?

You are right in thinking that it could fail again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back