Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pinewood derby start tree - help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

I see a circuit using a 4017 but I want to include 2 pushbuttons so "drivers" could activate their own gate.
I tried posting this last night but ??
circuit is in attachement
instead of leds maybe 6v lamps as the red lights are 6v lamps
circuit is culimanation of several different circuits.
the scr circuit is a "whos first" game show

Attachments

• start tree2.pdf
    719.2 KB · Views: 344
Need help with above circuit or suggestions

I re-read my post pinewood derby start tree but failed to ask for suggestions if circuit is workable.
If I knew anything about pic programing or ? perhaps it would be easier?

Have you searched the web for plans.
There is a good chance someone has plans for what you are looking for.

If you are going to design your own why not use a PIC.
Use one button to start the tree.
Have the racers push a button to release their cars.
Use the pic to red light a racer that goes too soon.
If you added a LCD display you could easily measure reaction times.

Take it a bit further and add sensors to figure out who finished first and determine elapsed times.

I think this is the sort of project that people would be happy to help you with.

But first do a good web search to see if you can find where it has already been done and you can get plans.

Good luck.

Circuit explaniation --- pic I wish I knew more about

The cars are placed on the track being held by a start pin
The timer (4017) is started
First the blue light comes on (this is before the 555 starts counting at 1 second intervals (circuit is designed to pluse at 1 second intervals)
when count starts the yellow light comes on, one second later a second yellow comes on, one more second the green comes on.
IF a "driver" pushes his start button to soon (before the green light) then a red light comes on in his lane.
Pushing the DPDT monentary pushbuttons causes that lanes SCR to fire as well as activates a 24v DC solenoid.
As to programming a PIC ???????????
Yes the circuit I posted is a culimanation of 3 different circuits with the DPDT monentary push buttons added as well as higher voltage lights. Circuit shows LEDs but perhaps use some triacs and larger bulbs (mosfets would probaly work as well?
If I use the Triacs I can use some of the SSR circuit boards I have for my Olson 595 Xmas display lights (uses MOC1023 opto couplers connected to Triacs. 4 triacs per board.)
If someone who is savy in PIC programming etc. I am willing to go that route.
Need to have built and tested before June 30
As for timers, I have 2 timers (one for each lane) ordered at $35 per timer.
times to .001 (few if any ties)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back