Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pin out explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKS

Can some body explain me the pin out of a 16F877a

or just give me the meanings of VDD,VSS,MCLR,VPP and how to use them if you have them double on your chip...

TKS

offcourse a good link to a site which explains is also good, nigel could find at your site..

TKS said:
Can some body explain me the pin out of a 16F877a

or just give me the meanings of VDD,VSS,MCLR,VPP and how to use them if you have them double on your chip...

TKS

offcourse a good link to a site which explains is also good, nigel could find at your site..

Just consult the datasheet, it tells you everything you need to know, you shouldn't attempt to program a chip as complicated as the 16F877 without having the datasheet to hand.

As one of my old technical college teachers used to say "pin it up on the back of the toilet door, so you have plenty of time to study it" :lol:

Like what Nigel said, keep the datasheet on hand. Anyway to quickly get you answered:

VDD - connect to 5V the two pins marked VDD. This is used to power the chip. Why two? To reduce the inductance of the wires supplying the chip and minimize minute voltage drops as a result of rapid changes in current being drawn by the chip. This ensures stable operation of the chip.
VSS - connect to 0V or GND the two pins marked VSS.
MCLR - This pin when brought to 0V, resets the PIC. This pin also doubles as a VPP pin. When the pin raised to 8.5V-13.5V, the PIC is changed into programming mode. This pin is normally connected to VDD thru a resistor for normal use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back