Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIN diode question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

I understand that PIN diodes can switch amps of RF with just mA of DC bias.

I don't quite see how that works....won't the Amp strength of the RF signal switch on the PIN diode? How can DC mA make a significant difference then?

Or is it like Magnetic saturation where with an AC signal (balanced) a small DC component can push an inductor to saturation?

Like I have explained for LEDs , all diodes have a 25 deg C rating around 1 watt-ohm using continuous current ratings for low or reasonable temp rise and rated ESR +\-50%

This pin diode is rated at 2Ω into a 50Ω with 0.5dB insertion loss at 0dBm

Thus with 10mA bias current it becomes a 2Ω ESR switch, which with 1.5A max rating for RF coupled into diode.
Since the semiconductor material used has a extremely low threshold voltage unlike LEDs, it can saturate much more current when forward biased.

Think of it as a current controlled low ESR switch with extreme low near zero threshold voltage and high speed, 6GHz useful for Rx/Tx switching at front end of a sat. phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back