Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

piezoelectric powered circuit, need help with the basics

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentid36

hi, I'm trying to make a circuit powered by one of those piezoelectric igniters you find in those electric lighters, like this: Jetboil Maintenance Kit

It (possibly) outputs about 5000 volts in a moment; I'd like to utilize it to power a nichrome (http://www.heatersplus.com/nichrome.htm) wire cutter for about 5-10 seconds. My main issue is that I'm not sure if the capacitor can take the charge coming from the igniter. Does anyone here have any experience with this or know if this is possible, or have any suggestions?

My base guess is just to toss a resistor in between the capacitor and piezo to bring the voltage down to levels that the capacitor can deal with, but this is probably wrong, or there's a much better way to do what I want to do.

Last edited:
It's totally impossible, the amount of power produced by the piezo is tiny, far to little to heat nichrome wire.

The voltage is wrong too, a piezo produces 5kV at a tiny current, to build a wire cutter you need a very low voltage at a higher current which still more power than the piezo can provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back