Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Piezo Buzzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

shocking find

I want to use a Radio Shack piezo buzzer as a doorbell. Data: 6-16VDC 65MA Two Tone. However, when I connect it up, it won't shut off. That is to say as soon as I connect the wires it begins sounding. I would be very grateful if anyone would take the time to tell me why this is happening. I also connected this piezo buzzer to a brand new doorbell button and a nine volt battery and the same thing happened. It appears that the current is jumping the two screws in the doorbell button.

You must have a bad button or have it wired wrong. 9 volts isn't going to jump any visible distance.

How is it two tone? How many wires are coming out of the buzzer?
A sketch of how you have it connected would help.

The peizo buzzer I have sounds like a European police of ambulance siren. "EEEE OOOO". There are just two wires. A hot and a neutral. I have tried putting the doorbell button on either pole and it still sounds off. I also tried a clapper bell doorbell and it worked the way it was supposed to.

I think your hooking it up wrong.

With DC (9v battery) there is no hot and neutral. Its positive and negitive.

Run one wire from the negitive side of the battery to one side of the buzzer.

Run another wire from the positve side of the battery to one side of the switch. from the other side of the switch run a wire to the other wire on the buzzer.

Should work.

Last edited:
65mA is low current. I bet that the button you have has a lamp in it, allowing current to flow to your buzzer. If is has a lamp try removing it and I think it will solve your problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back