Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICSTART plus

Status
Not open for further replies.

uaefame

I install MPLAB IDE v8.01.
I don't have RS232 which needed to connect PICSTART plus to the computer.
Therefore i bought a USB converter to RS232, i connect everything but when i enable the programmer this message appear.
Code:
Com port1 could not be opened

When you install a USB-to-Serial converter, it can create any PORT #. It's not mandatory to COM1. You have to know which COM port your converter have created and use.

Control Panel>> System >> Hardware >> Device Manager. Expand the Ports (COM & LPT) list, you'll see which COM port are available.

Some (see all) USB-2-Serial converter allow to change the default COM port to another one.

I followed your step and i found it is at com4.

You know how can i change it to com1 or change the mplab setting to read com4.

Follow mister e's instructions and when you can see the com port right click on it and choose properties -> port settings -> advanced, choose com1 and untick the fifo box. You will need to do a restart.

Mike.

How much a PIC starter plus cost? its around 300$ which is alot to me?
I want to prgoram pic 16F84 only is there a cheap way to program this chip using mplab or any other cheap programmer?

Second question: does pic 16F877 has an internal clock ? If yes what is the frequency of it?

My Junebug is USB and will program the chips you want.

The 16F877 does not have an internal clock, the 16F887 does.

Last edited:
Not having any success with the last Junebug I built (its was my own fault, I used acetone instead of alcohol to clean up the board afterwards, which lead to anything that contained plastic to melt :( ) I would say that the PICKit 2 is the best bang for buck.

$35 and its made by Microchip, not to mention that it will program almost every PIC micro under the sun.

Just follow the pinout from the program software, and your good to go

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

I put together a **broken link removed**that helps explain this amongst other PIC related intro things, maybe it will help you out?

Oh my Acetone! What melted?

It was quite a mess, the buttons, pots and some other plastic bits and pieces were rendered completely useless - I was just so used to using acetone at work on our boards, I knew the moment after I picked the board up out of the bath what a bad move it was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back