Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pickit3 problem no connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cantafford

Hello,

I'm trying to download a code into a PIC using PICkit 3. I have connected the programmer to the microntroller and I tried programming with with both IPE and MPLAB v2.05. In both situations I get a connection error :(.

I have connected the PICkit 3 to the PC and the PC recognized it but I have not installed any firmware for the PICkit 3 because the package did not contain any CD's. Do I have to instal anything in order to make it work?

Are you powering your pic board? Can you download MPLAB v8.92 and try that?
Pickit three needs to download a file to pickit3 for each pic type you need to communicate to.
Max.

The PICkit 3 should come with it's firmware loaded. (Mine did.) I have not seen a file to download the PICkit 3 firmware and I do not know if there are any connections on it to connect it to another programmer to load the firmware. I have had A PICkit 2 that somehow got it's firmware corrupted. I did find a firmware file to download. (PK2V021000.hex) and the PICkit 2 has 6 holes in the board (Market J1) that you can solder in pins and connect is to another programmer.

Les.

What is the error message you are getting? If it is "target not found", then that is a simple setting in the programmer dialog.

John

When you get the message.. Do a snapshot and post it here... You have to apply power to the pickit3 ( unlike pickit2 )
If your device isn't powered ie.. just a programming socket, go to pickit3 settings and apply a voltage in the "power" section that relates to the pic you have selected!! Then the pickit3 will see it!

I had this with a new PK3 , fire up MPLAB 8. plug in USB go to programmer and see if it will reload the PK3 .

MPLAB X IDE will load the PK3 device sw , when you try to down load , although I have found " connection failed " happens , but eventually it sorts its self out .

Last edited:
I have managed to solve it by reconnecting the device several times. It's annoying as hell but at least I can eventually program the PIC.

I found if I change a target device attached to PK3 , first I click refresh debug tool status (MPLAB X ) a couple of times (circular green arrows on far left side bar ) this sorts out PK3 sw issues.
Ed
Probably the same as disconnecting...

I had forgotten, but now I recall the same problem and had to use the exact sequence of connection suggested in the Pickit3 sheet, if deviating from this you get the error.
DS51792B sheet.
(using MPLAB IDE v8.92)
Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back