Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pickit3 - ICD3 - Anyone with experience in both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
I have the chance to get almost for free one Pickit3 or an ICD3.

Is there anyone using / having used both to tell what is good and what is bad.

If I get ICD3, am I leaving behind any advantage in the Pickit3 that isn't with ICD3.

Who's easier to use when past of the learning period?

BTW I am aware of the difference in speed.

Help appreciated.

I have and have used both. I did not intend to do that, but when my first PK3 died, Microchip not only replaced it, but offered a very good discount on the ICD3 that I accepted.

They both work with MPLAB 8.92. I have not tried either with MPLAB X. I have not noticed any difference in chips supported, but I have not looked at all the possibilities. They both support the enhanced mid-range and newer 18F chips.

Differences:
1) ICD has a more robust power supply. The numbers are hard to track down, but I believe PK3 is limited to something like 30 to 40 mA (maybe less), the ICD3 can support 100 mA. If you do ICSP or in-circuit debugging that can make a difference between needing a power supply and not. I suppose an easy workaround is to get a standalone USB power supply for 3.3 or 5V. With a 12F683 in a programmer socket, the power supply of the PK3 was a problem, but there was no problem with the ICD3. That particular PK3 eventually failed and was replaced. So, that observation may not be fair.
2) There used to be a warranty difference. ICD3 was lifetime and PK3 was time-limited. However, in practice, it seems Microchip supports the PK3 with a warranty well in excess of what is stated.
3) ICD3 is said to be more appropriate for a low production environment. PK3 is said to be for hobbyists, basically.

John

Hola John,

Short and to the point.

Gracias for that.

I've never tried to power target with them. In terms of using they appear the same - how they connect, appear in IDE, how they need to update firmware every time you change chip family. Aside of this:

1. ICD3 is definitely faster (more so on new machines). It also has more debugging capabilities, which I've never used.

2. PICKit3 is more robust. Bad connections, capacitance, things like that affect ICD3 more. I also need to disconnect target before I connect ICD3 to the computer. So, ICD3 might be a PITA.

3. Microchip says you can use ICD3 as a production programmer, but I'm pretty sure the programming methods of PICkit3 and ICD3 are the same.

4. PICkit3 can be used as a programmer-to-go, but I've never tried this neither.

With a 12F683 in a programmer socket, the power supply of the PK3 was a problem, but there was no problem with the ICD3. That particular PK3 eventually failed and was replaced. So, that observation may not be fair.
That's curious. I've programmed 12F683's as well as many other PICs using the PICkit3 to power the device. I've also done in-circuit programming of various PICs with the PICkit3, sometimes using the PICkit3 to power the entire circuit (not something that I would ever recommend, but I have done it). Overall, I'm quite happy with the PICkit3. I've never used an ICD3, so I can't comment on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back