Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pickit3 2014 , how good or bad, really ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wp100

Hi,

Was looking to use some Pics my PK2 / dev file will not cover.

Although the PK3 received a lot of very bad press initially, seems it still has a lot of problems if you look in the Microchip programmers forum; though of course that really does only reflect the problem side of things.

Wondered what those forum members who have used a PK3 think of it and is it really as bad today as when first released ?
( don't want to pay 4 times the price for an ICD3 )

I have never had an issue with pickit3.... The only pain is the way it starts up... If you have a little programming adapter you need to specify the voltage... If you forget, it spits it's dummy out and you have to unplug it and re-connect to star over..... If the target board has power, then there is no difference....

My biggest annoyance was using a pic16LF1828.... It will not allow me to set a 5v voltage... It does, however, still program the chip at 3.3v.

I sometimes need to un-plug it from PC and re-connect, but it doesn't happen very often.

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies, seems the Pk3 is not as bad as some make out; though I will buy from Farnells or RS as I know there will be no problem with replacement should it fail, as I was unlucky enough to have shortly after getting the Pk2 some years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back