Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PicKit2 Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr.gone

As you may know the PicKit2 works from the USB port. I had a problem right off the bat. Actually two. It looks like for most devices you cannot use MPLAB and must use the HEX program software that comes with PicKit2. Therefore you have no disassembler or debugger etc. Second, I'm having this problem now and if I get it resolved I will post the solution:

OK, my PicKit2 has no problem with the 16F690 but I have hooked up a cable to the output connector so I can try to program a 10F206 chip. I get the "VDD error" and I scoped it out and it looks like all the signals are being loaded down. I have checked and re-checked the connections and according to the PicKit2 manual & the 10F2xx user's guide it is all correct. So I ordered a whole tube of 10F2xx chips & have same problem. I also have two "Low pin count Demo boards" and they both do the same thing. If I put the sample 16F690 back in it works fine.

Here are my connections:

PicKit2-------------->10F206
(output conn)

1---------------->8
2---------------->2
3---------------->7
4---------------->5
5---------------->4

Next time read the PICKIT2 readme in MPLAB for supported PICs. The 10Fxxx is not a supported chip.

Here's the PICKIT2 supported PICs as of 7.50 MPLAB.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

1.1[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Debugger - Beta Support

PIC16F886
PIC16F887
PIC16F917
1.2[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Programmer - Full Support

PIC12F510
PIC12F675
PIC16F684
PIC16F690
PIC16F917
1.3[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Programmer - Beta Support

PIC16F506
PIC16F883
PIC16F884
PIC16F886
PIC16F887

Well let me tell ya. I'm not that concerned with MPLAB though they say it will be straightened out with ver 7.5 (which is not out yet). The question is why does my PicKit2 program a 16F690 and not a 10F206? This appears to be a harware problem which can't be fixed with software. It looks like even though the USB port has it's own power source, it is not enough power for the PIC10Fxxx series which means you still need a power suply like the pic start kit. Yes MPLAB has many advantages but I have punched in machine code many times and converted it with "bin2hex.exe" but without MPLAB I have no way of checking rather my machine code was correct or not other than running the program. The first statement was an FYI for people in the forum.

Last edited:
The readme for my pickit2 says that it does support 10f202 etc. I just tried a 10f202 in my pickit2, manually selected 10f202 from the menu and tried to read the chip and got the error-
Pickit 2 Vpp(/MCLR) voltage level error detected.
So I'm in the same boat.

If you use the PICKIT2 software it claims to support the 10F202, I was referring to MPLAB. My mistake. I can guess that the PICKIT2 may not be a microchip inhouse design and a 3rd party product rebranded. It would seem odd they have different software than MPLAB to run it. Make sure you have the latest version of software & firmware. Also the Microchip forums might be of help.

Microchip MPLAB programmer support the 10F202. This is a 7.50 screenshot.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
wow, and to think that until I finally gave in and built a USB ICD2 clone, I was very close to buying a PICkit2 because it seemed like such a great little programmer, $35, small, and USB, bus powered and everything. And being made by microchip themselves, I had naturally assumed it would be fully MPLAB compatible with every PIC out there, which is an area all my other programmers were lacking in.

Guess I would have been wrong... A cheap, fully-supported USB programmer is something microchip would definitely be wise to offer, but this sounds like a rather sad attempt...

Yes MPLAB don't give much support to PICKit2 BUT the right software & firmware allow more than 10 PIC...
**broken link removed**

PICKit 2 software V2.01 available at the bottom on the following page
**broken link removed**

O.K only one full supported Debug model as now, but it's still a 35$ USB programmer... maybe Microchip will add some more in future... maybe. I buyed one last week for some on-the road update. I also think it's not 100% microchip... Funny part, when you buy it, they give you ALL schematic of it and ALL bootloader + firmware code for the 18F2550 inside the PICkit... in C-18 :D

ICD-2 is not as this expensive when you look what it do and how much device are supported.

I still prefer my good ol' BK844a ...

@Mr.gone,
i have tested your stuff, it's working here using the latest PICKit software & firmware. Maybe you revert the pinout. Pin 1 is the white arrow on the PICKit

Make sure you have select your PIC in Device familly>>Baseline

Last edited:
I wish that were true Mr.E. Actually the pins are labeled on the board. Microchip cannot give me an answer. I posted in forum and webticket and have yet to get an answer since Friday morning.

JimG I know you got that software error but I scoped it out and the signals are being loaded down. If I remove either the VCC or GND than everything looks normal. It's when I apply power to the chip that I loose all my signals, almost as if there is a short but I have a whole tube of processors and they all do the same thing.

Last edited:
euh... i have to ask... did you remove the 16F690?

Have you tested directly on a breadboard? well this is what i did here....

The LPC Demo Board cannot be used with PIC10F DIP parts. The 10F parts have a different pinout than PIC12F parts.

I just received this relpy (above quote) from Microchip. It was from a moderator and he closed the thread so I can't reply. Guess I have to call..:confused:

mr.gone said:
Actually the pins are labeled on the board.

The LPC Demo Board cannot be used with PIC10F DIP parts. The 10F parts have a different pinout than PIC12F parts.

So are you or are you not trying to use the 10F part in a board that was wired for a 12F part? If that is the case, I don't see how you could still be confused, because it simply means you have it hooked up wrong, and thus you should fully expect it to not be working.

Last edited:
All I can say is Duhhhhh....

After I wired up the pickit2 to 10F202 using your wiring specs, it worked perfectly. I don't know what I was thinking trying to use the lpcb which doesn't support the baseline chips. So the pickit2 is just fine. I hope I didn't discourage anyone from trying it.
I did download and install the latest software for the pickit2 if that helps.

Sorry. But at least you know it should work now.

Last edited:
Thank you "jimg". That makes the most sense. Let me try downloading the latest greatest software for this PicKit2. You would think I would have had it since I just got the disk. Funny thing about it is when I go to "help" there is no version listed...lol.

OK, I downloaded all that garbage (ver 2.01) and had a time with that .NET Framework but it is all installed. Had the same problem...lol. I tell ya "jimg" your low pin count PCB must be different than mine. I downloaded the data sheet (manual) on the sample chip (16F690) and found the output connector not only was way different than the PicKit2 manual but it also did not have all the connections to the chip socket. So I transposed the signals from the socket to my 8 pin DIP adaptor and it now works! Here's how I did mine and I have two low pin count adapter boards that are both the same.

16F690 socket 8 pin DIP socket (20F206)

1---------------------------------2
18--------------------------------4
19--------------------------------5
20--------------------------------7
4---------------------------------8

your low pin count PCB must be different than mine

I must not have made myself clear (as usual).
For my last successful attempt, I didn't use the low pin count pcb, I just stuck a header in the pickit2 and wired it to a breadboard using your original wiring and programmed it in the breadboard.

Glad you finally got it all figured out:)

Sorry about that jimg. I stand corrected. Hey, I'm downloading MPLAB 7.50 right now. Do you know if I will have a disassembler/debugger to use with the 10F2xx? And also will it allow me to program the configuration word? The PicKit2 ver. 2.01 only allows me to access up to address 1FF the OSCCAL word but I want to set this up for "comparator".

mr.gone said:
Sorry about that jimg. I stand corrected. Hey, I'm downloading MPLAB 7.50 right now. Do you know if I will have a disassembler/debugger to use with the 10F2xx? And also will it allow me to program the configuration word? The PicKit2 ver. 2.01 only allows me to access up to address 1FF the OSCCAL word but I want to set this up for "comparator".

Read my earlier post in this thread. No 10f anything support yet from within mplab 7.5 for the pickit2

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back