Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pickit2 + 24FJ128

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

I'm trying to incorporate a 24FJ series pic into my senior design project and I'm running into a bit of trouble getting the Pickit2 to recognize and program the chip.

The main problem is that it is a surface mount device. I found a 'surf board' from futurelec for like $0.90. Unfortunitly, I bent one of the pins (just so happened to be MCLR) when I was soldering it. I tried to straighten it, but it broke off :( (I tried testing it with the pickit before trying to fix it)

I'm hoping that I was having problems because of the MCLR pin. I tried testing just the Pickit part by just connecting the minimum # of pins, (All the VDD's and VSS's, MCLR, PGC1, PGD1, and the pins needed to drive the VDD core) I was getting the 2.5V across the VDD Core cap, but it still wouldnt recognize it.

I'm going to resolder another pic onto the surfboard tomorrow, but I just wanted to see if there was anything that I'm missing?

The 24FJ128 is not supported by the PICKIT2 when using MPLAB.
It does appear to be supported by the PICKIT2 software though.

And You will need the MCLR pin when programming.

Last edited:
I was using the pickit2 software, not MPlab.

Do I need the MCLR pin to just recognize the pic? I really hope thats the problem, our project is already a month behind.

Is there any anything else I'm forgetting? the oscillator isnt needed?

jrz126 said:
Do I need the MCLR pin to just recognize the pic? I really hope thats the problem, our project is already a month behind.

MCLR is absolutely crucial, as blueroomelectronics says, it's used to switch the PIC to programming mode - so it's now completely useless.

soldering on a new chip did the trick :)

WTF! Well I was programming it a couple nights ago, now it keeps saying programming failed at address 0x00004...If I screw with it, I can get the address to change to like 0x00200 or something.

I soldered a few more components onto my PCB, so there is a slight possibility that my hardware changed, but I've double checked all my connections, so I doubt this is the cause.

I have no idea what is going on with it. It could be the compiler or something.

here's my code

Code:
#include "adc.h"
#include "comparator.h"
#include "crc.h"
#include "Generic.h"
#include "i2c.h"
#include "incap.h"
#include "outcompare.h"
#include "PIC24F_periph_features.h"
#include "pmp.h"
#include "ports.h"
#include "PwrMgnt.h"
#include "Rtcc.h"
#include "spi.h"
#include "timer.h"
#include "uart.h"
#include "wdt.h"
#include "p24fj128ga006.h"

_CONFIG2(IESO_OFF &  FNOSC_PRI & FCKSM_CSDCMD & OSCIOFNC_OFF & POSCMOD_HS )
int main(void)
{

OpenUART1(0x8201,0x64C0,115200);
	ConfigIntUART1(0x0008);
	while(1)
{

char *ptr = "Hello, World\0";
	putsUART1(ptr);	
}

}

I can post a schematic later, but I dont think its hardware related. It was working just fine a few nights ago.

In the troubleshooting for the pickit, it says that the VPP for the PIC24's is 4.5V. When should I see this voltage on the MCLR pin?
Another thing i noticed was that if I just use the 3.3V of the board, the verify will fail at address 0x000004. But if i force it to use the pickit's supply and set that to 3.6V, it will be able to program up to like 0x000100 or something.
Could it be the VPP then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back