Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICkit 3 Windows 7 64-bit MPLAB IDE Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Wilder

I recently ordered a PICkit 3. I use MPLAB IDE v8.92, but also have MPLAB X installed and I have used the PK3 in both IDE platforms.

The PICkit 3 works fine when it connects. But sometimes I have to unplug/replug the USB cable a few times before the status LED will go green. Once the status LED goes green, I then launch MPLAB. MPLAB 8.92 sees it upon launching and gives the following messages -

Code:
PICkit 3 detected
Connecting to PICkit 3...
Running self test...
Self test completed
Firmware Suite Version...... 01.31.20
Firmware type......................PIC18F

CAUTION: Check that the device selected in MPLAB IDE (PIC18F46K22)
is the same one that is physically attached to the debug
tool. Selecting a 5V device when a 3.3V device is connected
can result in damage to the device when the debugger checks
the device ID.

PICkit 3 Connected.
Target Detected
Device ID Revision = 00000004

The PICkit 3 works great after this. However, after about 10 minutes of idle time, I get the following error message -

Code:
PK3Err0033: 4 bytes expected, 0 bytes received

After receiving this error, I unplug the PK3 for about 10-20 seconds, then replug the USB cable. MPLAB sees the PK3 and reconnects, and all is well again until about 10-20 minutes later and the cycle repeats.

I opened a support ticket with Microchip, in which they determined that the PK3 was losing USB device enumeration and that they would have to replace the unit. They sent a replacement, yet it's doing exactly the same thing.

I've read on a few forums (including Microchip's) that the PK3 and Windows 7 64-bit for some reason do not play well together. Has anyone here heard anything of this? Is there a way around this issue? Will Microchip ever address the issue?

Already thought of that. I turned it off a couple of days ago and the system has been restarted a few times since. I rechecked the setting to make sure it saved and it did.

There are report all over the web about USB problems with W7 64bit. Some say it's related to various USB chipsets being power limited or >4GB memory or other programs interacting with the USB ports. Do you have a powered USB hub to try it on?

I recently ordered a PICkit 3. I use MPLAB IDE v8.92, but also have MPLAB X installed and I have used the PK3 in both IDE platforms.

The PICkit 3 works fine when it connects. But sometimes I have to unplug/replug the USB cable a few times before the status LED will go green. Once the status LED goes green, I then launch MPLAB. MPLAB 8.92 sees it upon launching and gives the following messages -

Code:
PICkit 3 detected
Connecting to PICkit 3...
Running self test...
Self test completed
Firmware Suite Version...... 01.31.20
Firmware type......................PIC18F

CAUTION: Check that the device selected in MPLAB IDE (PIC18F46K22)
is the same one that is physically attached to the debug
tool. Selecting a 5V device when a 3.3V device is connected
the device ID.

PICkit 3 Connected.
Target Detected
Device ID Revision = 00000004

The PICkit 3 works great after this. However, after about 10 minutes of idle time, I get the following error message -

Code:
PK3Err0033: 4 bytes expected, 0 bytes received

After receiving this error, I unplug the PK3 for about 10-20 seconds, then replug the USB cable. MPLAB sees the PK3 and reconnects, and all is well again until about 10-20 minutes later and the cycle repeats.

I opened a support ticket with Microchip, in which they determined that the PK3 was losing USB device enumeration and that they would have to replace the unit. They sent a replacement, yet it's doing exactly the same thing.

I've read on a few forums (including Microchip's) that the PK3 and Windows 7 64-bit for some reason do not play well together. Has anyone here heard anything of this? Is there a way around this issue? Will Microchip ever address the issue?

Hi :)

I have the same setup and it works fine....
Your probably debugging a PIC that is running on a 3.3v supply..

Goto Debugger -> Select Tool ->PICKit 3

Then goto Debugger -> select settings -> Power(Tab)

unckeck "Power Target Circuit from PicKit-3"

Then set the voltage with the slider or type it in..
Mine is currently set to 3.250, but set it to what your using..

eT

Hi :)

I have the same setup and it works fine....
Your probably debugging a PIC that is running on a 3.3v supply..

Goto Debugger -> Select Tool ->PICKit 3

Then goto Debugger -> select settings -> Power(Tab)

unckeck "Power Target Circuit from PicKit-3"

Then set the voltage with the slider or type it in..
Mine is currently set to 3.250, but set it to what your using..

eT

I'm not debugging. I'm just programming. I'm also working with a 5V device (18F46K22) and I'm running it from an external 5V supply. Under both the programmer and debugger menus, the "Power Target from PicKit-3" option is unchecked already.

I'm not debugging. I'm just programming. I'm also working with a 5V device (18F46K22) and I'm running it from an external 5V supply. Under both the programmer and debugger menus, the "Power Target from PicKit-3" option is unchecked already.

ok....but MPLAB thinks your debugging and using a 3.3 v device for some reason. :)

eT

What in the messages above is telling you this?

This is telling me:

"CAUTION: Check that the device selected in MPLAB IDE (PIC18F46K22)
is the same one that is physically attached to the debug <---------------------------here
tool. Selecting a 5V device when a 3.3V device is connected <----------------------and here
the device ID."

eT

Haven't had a chance to play with the PICkit 3 over the last couple of days. However, I wonder if it's due to the 'K' designation that PK3 assumes that it's a 3.3V device. That being said, I'll probably try an 18F4550 on it to see if it gives me that same message. I'll keep you posted.

Hi, Jon
I had the same problem with my PicKit3. To solve this, unplug the pk3 and while pressing the button on pk3 plug in the pk3 to the computer. A window is opened and click on OK. That's all.
I hope I would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back