Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pickit 3: How do I set it up to work with newer chips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimg

I recently bought a bunch of 12LF1552 chips to play with the built in CVD vs. the purely software mtouch framework.

I quickly found that my old Pickit 2 would not work with these chips, so I purchased a Pickit 3.

For a test of the new Pickit 3, I thought I would load an already working hex file into a 12F1840, which was the last program I did using the Pickit 2.

When I connect the chip up to the Pickit 2 it immediately knows all about it. Easy to load the hex file and program the chip.

When I try to use the Pickit 3, it has no idea what the chip is, and it's not in the limited device list it provides. I loaded the latest software for the pickit 3 that I could find, dated 6/11/2013. The about shows "Application Version 3.10.00, Device file version 1.62.15, OS Firmware version 2.00.05

Still no joy. I can unplug it, plug in the pickit 2, load the old pickit 2 software, and it loads the 12F1840 hex file and programs the chip with no problem.

The Pickit 3 has no idea what this older 12F1840 chip is, much less the newer 12F1552 chip.

I would greatly appreciate any help getting new Pickit 3 working.

p.s. - For the sake of clarity, assume I use a third party software to produce the hex file I want to copy to the microcontroller chip.

More information is needed -

What software are you using to compile your hex file?

What software are you using to work with the PICkit 3? MPLAB? Or the standalone PICkit 3 utility?

If you're trying to use the PICkit 2 standalone software, this will not work. The PICkit 3 has its own standalone software, available for download here -

**broken link removed**

If you're using MPLAB, why not write your code and compile it within MPLAB?

Yes, I was using the file you mentioned, setup v3.10. The internal setup file was dated 6/11/2013 as I said above.
The 2 days and many, many times I tried this before asking, it wouldn't work. After writing the original post, out of desperation I loaded mplab X. Tried it but couldn't get anything to work. Unintalled it, and deleted all the associated files I could find. Reloaded the pickit operating system into the pickit (something I've done several times). Tried the pickit 3 app again and for some unexplainable reason, the 12F1840 is now recognized and programmable by the pickit 3. ????

As I tried to say in my original post, what I used to compile my hex file is not relevant. Assume it is a working hex file, because I had used it before with the pickit 2 and knew it worked. I want to just use the standalone Pickit 3 utility.

So, now the question is, what do I have to do to get the Pickit 3 to recognize the newer 12LF1552 chip? It says- Device: unsupported part (ID=2BC0)

Are you powering the chip with the PK3? If so, have you clicked the proper box to choose that option and the correct voltage under programmer>settings>power? Under configure have you selected the chip?

I just checked my MPLAB (v. 8.92) and PK3 has the 12LF1552 listed for it in the configure menu. I routinely use it to program the 12F1840 too.

John

Yes, thanks. MPLAB v 8.92 has 12lf1552 support and shows the chip. If I load the MPLAB OS into the pickit 3, it works. I would still like to use the Pickit 3 OS to program the chip rather than mplab because it has a better display of whats going on other features and it doesn't nag me about projects and other stuff I don't need. 8 is much much better than X, but still I'd rather skip it if possible.

Well in doing a bit of research, the PK3 standalone app uses a PK2 device list file. Apparently it is only compatible with older flash devices when using the standalone app. Which means the only way to use it for newer devices would be to program it within MPLAB 8.92 or X.

There is also MPLAB IPE (Integrated Programming Environment) which is another standalone programmer app. You must download the MPLABX installer, but there is supposed to be an option in the installer that allows you to install MPLAB IPE only without installing X. I'm downloading it now to see if it offers newer device support.

Not only was the PK3 standalone app never compatible with newer PIC's (which now that I think about it that is precisely why I never used the app myself) but it's also been discontinued and sent to the MPLAB archives.

CONFIRMED: To install the MPLAB IPE, run the MPLAB X installer and uncheck MPLAB X IDE, but leave MPLAB IPE checked.

CONFIRMED: MPLAB IPE also includes support for newer PIC's, including the 12LF1552.

Last edited:
So as it appears, your only options are to program within MPLAB 8.92 or X, or use the MPLAB X IPE software to program newer PIC devices.

Roger that. I just tried it myself. I used a legacy processor (16F887) but it programmed it just fine with the PK3.

Just a quick note after an hour of exploration of the 3.00.02 beta.

I think I like the IPE. It still needs a lot of work, but not bad for a start.

I haven't figured out how to tell it to always power from the pickit, so I have to do it manually every time which means logging into advanced mode so I can see the power options button to be able to set the option to power the pic. Would be nice if it just had a check box always available option, or better, just remember setting.

Also it doesn't have the option to load the pickit with the correct OS so have to do that manually first with the pickit3 program, or just leave it in mplab mode and give up on the old pickit os entirely.

It would be nice if the memory view would show more than 4 lines.

Probably a dozen more things I would change if I were writing the program, but not bad for a start :)

Thank you very much for your patience in this matter.

Interesting. On mine it seems to download and load the OS for the PIC you have selected automatically. As far as powering the PIC from the PK3, I usually power the target from an external supply so I don't ever have to worry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back