Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PICKit 3 / Debug express / PIC 18 Development kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

day1118

Hi guys, I am looking at buying a new PIC programmer, most likely the PICKit 3.
I have just a few questions first...

1. I've read that the PICKit 2 has a logic analyser and a 'program to go' feature, and also that these are not present in the PICKit 3. Is this correct, and does anyone know if they intent to (or already have done so) release updates that fix this?

2. Looking at the Microchip site, I found 3 different options.
- The plain PICKit 3
- The PICKit 3 Debug express
- The PICKit 3 PIC18 development kit

The PIC's I have used include the 16F84A, 873 and 877A.
I am now moving to the 18F series, currently the 18F4610 (the reason for needing a new programmer!)

I generally use a breadboard and ICSP, and wondering which kit I need to allow me to perform programming and debugging on these (and others in the future) chips?

(Also if someone could please explain what each upgrade/more expensive kit actually allows me to do as Microchips site doesn't seem to do this...)

Any comments or advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks
Anthony

Hi,

First off, you need to do a little search in this forum to see the many comments about the Pickit3.

Compared to the ever popular Pickit2, the Pickit3 is overpriced and under developed - while Microchip are making some improvements it is uncertain how good it will finally be.

For the typical Diy-ers the Pickit2 will more than meet their needs, unless you are looking to use the latest very high end chips.

As you say you have an existing programner, using the 16F chips and use a breadboard icsp, then buying a dev board with difficult to change smd chips does not seem to offer you many advantages.

You could easily do all those dev kit experiments on your own breadboard - all the software is free to download from Microchip

Would think buying a basic Pickit2 or 3 would readily meet your needs / ability level.

Hi,

First off, you need to do a little search in this forum to see the many comments about the Pickit3.

Compared to the ever popular Pickit2, the Pickit3 is overpriced and under developed - while Microchip are making some improvements it is uncertain how good it will finally be.

For the typical Diy-ers the Pickit2 will more than meet their needs, unless you are looking to use the latest very high end chips.

As you say you have an existing programner, using the 16F chips and use a breadboard icsp, then buying a dev board with difficult to change smd chips does not seem to offer you many advantages.

You could easily do all those dev kit experiments on your own breadboard - all the software is free to download from Microchip

Would think buying a basic Pickit2 or 3 would readily meet your needs / ability level.

I agree.

Mike.

Thanks for all your help!

I've just ordered a Pickit2 debug express. I think the debug board will be handy for when I just want to test an idea and cannot be bothered a full prototype circuit!

Thanks Wp100 and Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back