Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PicKit 3 arrived today, It has no firmware! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smartie

Hey guys,

I ordered a PicKit3 from microchip direct last week and got it in the mail today.
However the Pickit acts as though it has no Firmware...
It does not initiate the USB when I plug it into the computer, the power LED turns on and that's it, nothing else happens.

At first I thought it was my computer having issues with the USB port, but I tested that with other USB devices and it works fine. When I plug in the PicKit, my computer doesn't even make a sound.

I'm one very disappointed customer...

I've never seen a 3, but did you read the install instructions? - commonly with USB you have to install the software on the PC before inserting the device.

That's the thing. The pickit doesn't work at all. my PC doesn't even make a sound when I plug it in.

The instructions say to install MPLab IDE software from CD first. I've already got MPLab installed. there was nothing else to install.
then the instructions said to plug in the PicKit 3, which i did and nothing happened.

I went to start menu, right clicked 'computer' -> 'manage' then clicked device manager.
Once it was open, I pluged in the PicKit 3 and the device manager didn't refresh the devices to show something had changed. I pluged in a USB Flash drive and the window refreshed.

It's really obvious that the PIC24 inside the PicKit3 has no firmware on it.

Hi,

Just looking at the Pk3 manual it says you must have Mplab V 8.20 or greater.

Assume if you open Mplab then goto ' programmer' ' and select ' pk3' it will work ok...

Last edited:
Uh yeah no...

I have MPLab 8.50

I have selected Pickit 3 from the programmers menu and mplab states that no hardware was found...
I even tried from the debuggers menu

Was just going to suggest you try the Microchip forum but seems you have already done so...

I recently bought a pickit2, it exhibited some very strange behaviour at first.
Mostly it appeared not to work, when plugged in it was detected some of the time and would then disappear.

I was on the point of sending it back from whence it came, when I had the idea of trying another USB cable - instant success which has continued for the past couple of weeks.

So, my pickit2 was supplied with a dud cable. I did "buzz out" the cable and the connections appeared to be correct, but it just would not work reliably.

I suggest that Smartie tries another USB cable, and if that does not work - the pickit3 is busted!

JimB

Lol way ahead of you JimB, already tried on a few cables that I know that work :)
Another good idea while it lasted!

JimB

The first picKit2 that I had arrived with no firmware on it. I had to make up a lead and programme it from the ICD2 I had.

Since then, every now and then one of the picKit2s will loose it's firmware, and has to be reprogrammed from another one.

I've been in contact with microchips support team and they are sending a replacement PicKit3, they said it should be here within two days

I am thinking the loosing firmware thing was more of a problem with the ICD2s. Smarties problem could well be a hardware problem like a bad solder joint.

Hmm... I'll grab out my multi-meter and load up the schematic tomorrow see if anything is wrong

I've been in contact with microchips support team and they are sending a replacement PicKit3, they said it should be here within two days

That is the upside to using official Microchip products. They stand behind their product and will replace it if it's broken.

I had a Microchip brand ICD-2 that I blew up because I wired a protoboard wrong and they replaced it for me even though it was my fault. I've since moved on to a RealICE but haven't had any issues with it.

Still waiting for the replacement to come in the mail, but I've tested all the pins on the uC for voltage levels and conductivity, Everything is fine, all the power pins have 3.3V and all the GND pins are grounded, the USB D+,D- are connected...

I'll check the firmware on it when i get the replacement soon

I got the replacement PicKit 3 in the mail today, tested that and it worked!
The first thing I did was I got out my proto jumper wires and wired up the new PicKit with the faulty one and read the memory on it. Just as I suspected it was blank.
I did a little googling around for the PicKit3 firmware and found a version of it on here PicKit 3 and RS/AP upgrade
I downloaded it, programmed it to the faulty pickit and now it works!!!
When mplab detected it, it asked to update the firmware on it, clicked yes and now its got to latest firmware.

Both pickits work fine with programming other pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back