Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pickit 2 VPP Voltage Level error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like the unit may have a problem. The VPP generator is an inductor, diode, cap & transistor. The PICkit2 manual has a schematic, my guess is it's the inductor.

Insert a chip that it recognises. Then burn the chip.
Only then will Vpp appear.
If you don't understand this, using the programmer is beyond you.

All problem started When I tried to program the PIC16F877A.
So I downloaded the program checks the PICKIT 2 and I got an vpp error.
Test was that nothing is connected to PICKIT 2 under the provisions of the test and also I checked even when it was connected to the PIC16F877A
I received an vpp error.

I have shorted the Vpp line many times. It doesn't get damaged.
Insert a chip that the programmer recognises and burn it.
Only then will Vpp be generated.

Hi,
According to the PICkit 2 V2.61 software should not connect anything to PICKIT 2 to check the PICKIT 2.
So there is no connection what kind of PIC I'm using.
Even before I begin to burn I want to see that it is a proper PICKIT.

Hi,

That is correct - to TEST the Vpp you do not connect anything to the Pickit2 output socket.

Collin55 comment refers only to when you are trying to program a pic chip and so not relevant to your tests.

As I said yesterday, you Minikit2 appears faulty - you need to contact your supplier for a replacement.

As I also mentioned do you have any other chip that you can prove your development board is working ok ? - just in case it is actually a fault on the dev board that has damaged the programmer.

You could just measure the resistance between the dev boards icsp socket pin 1 and pin 3 - would expect to see at least 10k or greater.
Do not connect the mini kit2 or power to the board while testing and do not put any chip in the zif sockets.

If that returns over 10k fine, then insert the 16F chip into the zif socket and repeat the test, if this is again over 10k then it seems likely both the dev board and chip are ok.

Hi,
ICSP connector function pic pin
1 MCLR/VPP
2 VDD
3 VSS
4 ICSPDAT
5 ICSPCLK
So what you're saying is that i should check the pin's VSS VPP
And if I see 10k the development kit is ok.

Hi,

Yes, with your your meter on the Ohms setting and the leads on those two pins as a said in the last message.

If it is around 10k or above that looks good, if you then do the same test with the chip in the zif socket you are then testing the chip. Again, do not connect any power or the programmer while doing these tests

Hi,
It started to work for a few minutes.
The software showed me 12-11.9 volts.Then it stopped.
But now I can not start again the programmer.
Does anybody have an idea what could it be?
Could be something that should set in MPLAB?

I checked the resistance and I see 47K

Last edited:
My PICKIT2 is also giving the same problem and i got a solution for it check my blog

Please post the solution here, not link to your Blog.

Moderation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back